X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Triana - laughably good

Big sweet fig like this makes you wonder if you've eaten it or if it has eaten you.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Tony, looks really good, I've heard this is Morle's best fig, of course its not hard to beat some of the other figs on his list lol
    Rafael
    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Tony, I agree.
      My plant is in its 3rd leaf.
      This past Spring I planted it inground, and it filled out nicely, in girth, height, and width. I got about a dozen figs, most of which have already ripened.
      This fig has a lot of crunchiness, and an ultra sweetness that I didn't expect from a fruit this large. Added bonus, it ripens its fruit quickly. The last stage of ripening happens in less than a week.
      I think I'll be holding on to all my cuttings from this variety when I winterize. I definitely want multiples of this one.

Comment

I've seen many people ask for one or both of the Trianas, and now I think I understand why.

I'm not sure if it looks or sounds better.

Thank you for sharing Tony.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Hello, I got a White Triana from Morle and it turned out to be what appeared to be a Desert King, which is breba only and it dropped the main crop.

Will the true White Triana please stand up? The White Triana I would like to get has fingerlike leaves and is the one that Dan showed photos of and said was so delicious. I'm not young and haven't the time to keep getting trees that are not what they are supposed to be.

No, I'm not in touch with Dan who has that tree, so that's not an option.....

Tony, does your WT have one, or two crops and if it has two, does the second crop drop its figs? Could you post photos of the leaves, too, please?

How does one get thread replies send to one's email address like they do on F4F? I don't see anywhere I can click for that to be done.

Maybe never mind. I found a place up top that said subscribe and clicked on that, so maybe that was what I was looking for. I just didn't look up at the top.

Thanks,

noss
          Last edited by noss; 09-05-2015, 01:39 AM. Reason: Just wanted to add the last sentence because I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Comment

• mountainfigs
            mountainfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Two crops, breba and main. First breba ripened July 8. First main the very end of August.

Don't have my camera this weekend but can photo White Triana leaves next week.

Looks good, I like the "watermelon" colored interior!
          Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Looks like White Triana has a nice tight eye. Less chance of splitting.
            Black Triana on the other hand has an open eye making it vulnerable to splitting in wet humid weather.
            I might have to add another tree to the "want list".
            Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
            Tony
            Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Do you ask like your Brooklyn white better?
              Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado, Black Celeste

Comment

Don,

In my view, these are both exceptional figs in regard to flavor when ripened well, and it seems considerably easier to ripen Brooklyn Whites well, at least as 3 year old trees. Both have great flavor, great taste, great texture, both are full-bodied, a lot going on, not thin. And both are sizeable figs. This particular White Triana fig was especially dazzling but there was only one and not as many to come as there are Brooklyn Whites that have already ripened and will ripen.

Brooklyn White seems more robust given the limits of heat and light in temperate climates. I've tried them both in ground and both in pots for the same amount of time. They have both struggled in ground but Brooklyn White has done better than White Triana, and I imagine could be more readily made productive in ground, with low limb protection or other protection.

Brooklyn White is proving to be more productive in pots too, though with the proper TLC I'm sure that White Triana can be very productive. I don't have an earlier light fig than Brooklyn White with such reliable taste.

White Triana did produce brebas a full 2 weeks earlier than Brooklyn White, however Brooklyn White's brebas were sweeter, fuller, less watery, better tasting. Could White Triana brebas improve with the age of the tree? I wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure they will both improve with age.

Again, both cultivars produce high quality figs, so both can be very rewarding to grow. The fact remains though that Brooklyn White for me has been easier to grow to produce more figs, and more of consistently high quality.

Things can change with age, as trees mature, but even if so, in the meantime with young trees Brooklyn White is more rewarding.

I've seen others remark too that their White Triana trees take a number of years before they start producing high quality crops. Brooklyn White seems faster out of the gate, and I have a feeling that it may continue to be more tolerant of less than ideal conditions overall.

White Triana may be the more premier fig in ultimate taste and appearance. But Brooklyn White is easily outproducing it here with very, very high quality figs of its own.
                Tony WV 6b

Comment

noss,

Here are my White Triana leaves. I have two trees, haven't seen them drop any figs.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                  Tony WV 6b

Comment

Some weekend figs.

Of note, 1 of the 3 Marseilles Black figs was a double fig, 2 in 1. Two fully formed pulps separated by a thin layer of white pith in the middle. Super well ripened both.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                    Tony WV 6b

Comment

I have to admit I'm the odd man out here. This tree is now 3 years old and a great producer. Problem is I don't care for the flavor, nor does my wife, or the kids. It's OK ( like a watermelon) , but it's not the sweet berry flavor of the dark figs we enjoy.

Tress is FREE for the taking, as I would rather grow something the whole family likes, rather than something we just think is OK. It's in a 10 gallon pot, and about 6ft tall, and loaded with figs. A little sad from lack of water but it perked right up about an hour after this photo. Tree is located in RI zipcode 02871.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Rhode Island - Zone 7A

Comment

That is real tempting Mike, I'm in NYC right now. I just don't think I can swing the 4 hour + drive with my schedule, then get it back to Colorado.

HMMMM
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

That was quick......Tree has been adopted.....and replaced / traded with a 2 yr old Celeste.
                        Rhode Island - Zone 7A

Comment

Congrats!

I'm glad it worked out for you and the lucky new owner!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X