X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that fig!!! Please help identify my heirloom.

Here are some pictures of my heirloom fig I inherited in 2002 from my sister-in-laws father who has passed earlier that year. Pa Batista came to this country from Portugal at 18 and raised his family in the town I live in now. When my wife and I moved into our house, my brother gave me an offspring of Pa's fig tree (he took the large tree to his house). Pa used hay bales, leaves and plastic to winter protect the tree. I now have many trees from cuttings of the original tree 1 of which is in ground and protected much like Pa protected his (i'll post pictures of how I protect it later this year).

This tree must be winter protected to reliably fruit the next year (although with proper pruning/pinching it may fruit in the same year it died back to the ground). It has 3 and 5 lobed leaves. It has purple/black fruits with red centers. They have a berry taste.

As I have become more fig aware, I have my suspicions as to what type it might be but I'd like other's opinions.

Here are the pictures:

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Look great! I would say Mt etna type for sure, maybe hardy Chicago or Marseilles black vs, or in that same ball park would be my guess.
    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Ryan for the response.

One thing I forgot to say is that my brother told me that Pa Batista once told him he "brought the tree from his village in Portugal" but another time Pa also told him he picked it up locally at Home Depot. Pa was known to tell a tale now and then

I'm leaning toward believing the latter that it's a Home Depot fig.
    Last edited by fitzski; 09-09-2015, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Anyone else have an idea on what this one might be?

Comment

hardy chicago

Comment

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks for input, Brian. That seems to be the consensus which makes sense given it's relative cold hardiness.

I agree with Ryan. The only thing that makes me doubt is the fairly open eye.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks, Calvin. Appreciate the input.
      Working...
      X