X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lampeira Branca

I had the first, of what looks to be many, ripe Lampeira Branca figs yesterday. This is the one from Prusch Park in San Jose, via the CRFG scion exchange. A large, beautiful greenish/yellow fruit, it develops some violet speckling as it ripens. The thin skin is quite sweet, and the overall, flavor has berry hints that linger. Light seed crunch, and just a very nice fig. The tree is very productive, healthy, and is growing in a 15 gallon pot. It was started from a cutting about 18 months ago. A definite keeper for me.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3968.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	39175

Name:	IMG_3969.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	39176

Name:	IMG_3972.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	39177

Name:	IMG_3973.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	39178
    Gary USDA 9A
    Sebastopol, CA

Gary, that is a very nice looking fig and I bet it is delicious.

Thanks for sharing.

newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Mike. It was very tasty, and with the hot, dry weather pattern we are in, I expect many more.

• newnandawg
      newnandawg commented
      Editing a comment
      Gary, I have Lampeira Preta that is only in its first season will not
      fruit this year. Be interesting to compare later.

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      I also have a young L. Preta, Mike, but it won't fruit this year. As I understand it, Preta is a San Pedro type, and Branca a common.

Great looking fig. Nice deep red center and looks to be large size.
    Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
    Tony
    Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Tony, it is quite large, which surprised me, since I had not had this one before.

Nice, Gary. I am pleased to see that your fig was very good. This was one of the two or three varieties that Harvey and I liked the most when we explored the Prusch orchard two years ago. My tree grew slowly from a cutting last year but really shot up this year into a beautiful tree. Unfortunately, it did not put on fruit until I pinched the top (no branching thus far) and the one fig I left on is unlikely to ripen this year. I look forward to a nice crop next year.
    Neil
    Reno, 6b

Comment

• figgary
      figgary commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Neil, I thought I remembered that you and Harvey liked this one at Prusch. It looks to be prolific at setting fruit, so I think you'll get plenty next year. (love your new selfie avatar, too)

Thanks for the avatar support, Gary. I'm thinking of making a change to a more demure photo, as I don't want to continue to scandalize the more sensitive folks on this forum. I expect I'll have to wrestle with the "controls" a bit before that can take place.
    Neil
    Reno, 6b

Comment

Working...
    X