X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert King - main crop ripening in PA?

So today I was perusing my mature fig tree row when I happened upon Desert King. This was a great year for it, with several dozen brebas on a 3-4 year old plant (I forget when I got it, but it came from Bass, Trees of Joy). To my surprise, it had a few small main crop figs on it that were soft. Thinking they had just started to shrivel before falling off (like they normally do), I picked one and broke it open. To my surprise, I found that it was ripe and upon tasting, that it was actually fit to eat. It was green with a golden type flesh. I had to do a double-take to be sure that I was at the right plant. To my knowledge, Desert King requires pollination to ripen the main crop (San Pedro), but to my knowledge we don't have the wasp required for pollination here (unless something else is doing it). I'll try to post a picture. Has anyone seen this happen before with Desert King?
    facebook.com/ThreefoldFarm
    threefoldfarm.org
    instagram.com/threefoldfarm

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    threefoldfarm.org

Comment

I read of it happening on rare occasion with San Pedros, more so with some varieties like Filacciano Bianco. Maybe it had something to do with temperatures during fruit development? Who knows.

Did the breba crop seem correct, at least?
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

Tim you must have luck on your side. I remember reading once that Desert King will occasionally ripen main crop figs but it is very uncommon. I don't know if it's a particular strain or if they are all able to do that. Whatever the reason it is, Congratulations on getting some ripe main crop!
        Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
        Tony
        Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Glad to hear I'm not crazy! Yes, the breba crop looked good, ripening early as always (around July 4th this year). Desert King is the only one even close to that early here.

Will have to keep an eye out to see if it does it again next year. We did have a much warmer summer than last year as well as a very warm week this past week.
          threefoldfarm.org

Comment

Same thing happened last year in northern West Virginia, though not to me: a few ripe Desert King main crop.
            Last edited by mountainfigs; 09-10-2015, 07:32 AM.
            Tony WV 6b
            https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

This is such a bizarre year. One of my 4 Desert King plants ripened all of its main crop with one still on the tree and I don't know which way that one will go. We started with endless rain, then temps 20 degrees higher than last year on average with much more rain and I started STEM fertigation. I don't know what the cause was.

DK Main:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150830_234633.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	39344

Name:	20150824_220314.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	39345

Breba:

Name:	ThSDAuETn5S1flSA-DQO705TKvU6cCPIxDViBayT0zJA=w641-h539-no.jpeg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	39347

Name:	-NpGzVa5SU65xmSqwQ38JbQ_Jqd_ukU8UYBSfIaZxGyS=w358-h539-no.jpeg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	39348

Name:	meecNQj7no6voFrsA45ah7rAKLu7paw_acvQVZuv4ZsN=w644-h539-no.jpeg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	39349
              Attached Files
              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• eboone
                eboone commented
                Editing a comment
                It would be interesting to see if that one DK plant repeated its performance in future, or if ripening a large main crop affects its ability to have the usual large breba crop.
            Working...
            X