X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barada 2015 Main

This is a second year tree in a ten gallon pot.

This fig was knocked off a couple of days early but I wanted to post about
    it anyway. It was rather bland, with a hint of honey but lacked in sweetness.
    We only gave it a 5 on a 1-10.

Here is what Bass said about it in 2009. Hopefully mine will get there one day.

"Here's a fig that came from an ancient village of Sidnaya, Syria. It's also known by "Assayleh" which means Honey fig. It's a small fig but delicate skin and very sweet. It didn't preform well in the ground in our area, but it seems to be doing great in a container. Excellent sweet taste. "

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5033.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	39227

Name:	IMG_5034.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	39228

Name:	IMG_5037.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	39229
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

How was this one for you in 2016, Mike?
    Zone 7A - Philadelphia
    Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

Ross, Barada had a difficult time with our summer long drought and my poor job of keeping it and a few
      others watered. Nearly all the figs produced either shriveled and fell off or they were poorly developed
      and had very little flavor. I plan to put it and numerous others in ground this spring and maybe it will
      do much better.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

How are people's Barada trees doing? I have two in their third leaf and neither are producing any fruit at all. One is in the ground and the other in a fifteen gallon pot. Both were fertilized with the recommended dose of Dynamite a few months ago, and I've even tried also a high phosphate fertilizer with the one in the ground. Both are thriving and have lovely leaves but I don't grow figs to look at their leaves. There are a number of figs I would rather have in the prime ground spot. This one should be dug up soon before it gets too big if it's not worth growing.
        Mara, Southern California,
        Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

Mara, mine was in a fifteen gallon pot and a really nice looking tree of three years old. I gave it away this spring but have not heard
          how it is doing. As you stated, I dont need any good looking plants that didnt produce figs.
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Why don’t they write? Them damn figs just like your kids they leave the house and never hear from them. Mike’s Barada has some figs set and an airlayer. Seems to be liking the few clicks up in longitude. Found an in ground home in the Holy land late spring after cold threat was passed One is coloring up and should get taste soon. Very pretty leaf shape. Thanks Mike
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
            Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Phil, it looks good in the pics. The fruit looks much more mature and not like about to drop. Good luck!
              newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Working...
              X