X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a fig variety - Baud

Because I never have enough to do, I translated Baud's page on choosing a fig variety: http://www.fig-baud.com/choixfiguiers.html. Mostly just Google translate, I tried to smooth out the translation as best I could but it's been a long time since high school french! Also attached is Baud's top 25 figs. Enjoy!

CHOOSING A VARIETY

BIOLOGY OF THE FIG TREE
    The knowledge of the biology of the fig tree is essential to make the right choice
    and understand the meaning of certain interventions.
    CHOOSING A FIGUIER MUST CONSIDER:
    The geographic location
    The development of the shaft
    The fruit maturity time
    The use made of fruits
    The taste of the fruit
    AN ADAPTED TO EACH SITUATION FIGUIER

BIOLOGY OF THE FIG TREE
    There are several types of fig trees:
    • The CAPRIFIGS (or male figs) are the winter home to the blastophaga wasp responsible for the sexual pollination. Caprifigs are recognizable in winter by the presence of many figs formed at the ends of branches. Fruit parasitized by blastophaga wasp are not edible. There are green, spongy, dry inside, and fall without ever reaching maturity. The fruits of caprifigs never edible and there is no way to make them edible. In nature a seedling is equally likely to be a caprifig or a domestic fig.
    • DOMESTIC figs (female/edible figs), depending on the varieties produce one or two harvests of figs per year:

The bifères varieties produce two crops per year, les FIGUES FLEURS (breba crop) ripen in July, on the wood of the previous year, accounting for 10-50% of the crop (average 20-25%) depending on the variety. The fruits are parthenocarpic, maturing without the need to pollinate.
    Les FIGUES D'AUTOMNE (main crop) often called "SECONDES" constitute the bulk of production, and mature in installments from the end of August until the first frost. Depending on the variety, fruits are parthenocarpic or require blastophaga wasp pollination.
    Les variétés unifères do not exhibit this character up and produce only main crop figs. Some very early varieties produce figs early August, a period usually poor in figs.

In conclusion :
    All the fig trees do not yield edible fruits.
    Some varieties (called common type) are self-fertile and can grow without the need for pollination.
    Other varieties may not bear fruit until after blastophaga pollination.

CHOOSING A FIG ONE MUST CONSIDER:
    THE LOCATION OF PLANTATION
    If the temperature falls each winter below -16 oc (3F), it is better to not grow a fig tree in the field. The geographical location and soil type can affect the speed of growth of the trees, abundance and quality of fruiting. Moreover, the blastophaga wasp has never been identified north of Bordeaux-Lyon, it is essential in the northern areas choose only self-fertile varieties. All varieties available in our catalog are of this type.
    THE TREE OF DEVELOPMENT
    Depending on the variety, a fig can occupy 5-7 m² for small growing trees to over 75 m² for the largest trees.
    THE TIME OF MATURITY OF FRUIT
    USE TO BE MADE OF FRUITS
    The orchardist prefer varieties with high quality allowing for transport, first black or dark (Pastilière, Dauphine, Noire de Caromb, or Violette de Solliès) and secondarily golden (Longue d'août, Madeleine des Deux Saisons or Goutte d'Or). The amateur will attach more importance to the eating quality of the fruit. The confectioner prefer small fruits, very sweet, with mostly green skin.
    TASTE QUALITIES OF FRUIT
    One must choose between large, fleshy fruit that is juicy to eat fresh or jam (often more fragile in wet periods) and smaller fruit, generally more resistant, which can be eaten fresh, dried or made into jam. The easiest varieties to dry are Grise de Saint-Jean and Ronde de Bordeaux.
    Some varieties that can also be dried whole are Figue de Marseille, Marseillaise, Negronne, Tena, Sucrette and Néfiach..
    By cutting the figs in half, we can get good results drying with Noire de Caromb, Abicou, Sultane, Bellone and even Col de Dame or Sucre Vert in warmer regions.

FIGS ADAPTED TO EACH SITUATION
    SMALL SPACES FOR LARGE SPACES
    WARM CLIMATES
    natural area of ​​the fig tree
    Production in July and September to October
    BROWN TURKEY - BRUNSWICK - DALMATIE - DOREE - FIGUE DE MARSEILLE - LONGUE D'AOUT - MADELEINE DES DEUX SAISONS - NEGRONNE ABICOU - DAUPHINE - GRISE DE SAINT-JEAN - NOIRE DE CAROMB - SULTANE - TENA
    Production in August, September to October
    PASTILIERE RONDE DE BORDEAUX
    Mid-late production from late August to late October
    MARSEILLAISE - NEFIACH - SUCRETTE BELLONE - NOIRE DE BARBENTANE - PANACHEE
    Late production from September to early November
    SUCRE VERT BOURJASSOTTE NOIRE - COL DE DAME
    TEMPERATE CLIMATES
    with less sunny early autumns and / or very wet
    Production in July and September to October
    BROWN TURKEY - BRUNSWICK - DALMATIE - DOREE - FIGUE DE MARSEILLE - LONGUE D'AOUT - MADELEINE DES DEUX SAISONS - NEGRONNE ABICOU - DAUPHINE - GRISE DE SAINT-JEAN - NOIRE DE CAROMB - SULTANE - TENA
    Production in August, September and October
    Mid-late production from late August to late October
    MARSEILLAISE - NEFIACH - SUCRETTE BELLONE - NOIRE DE BARBENTANE - PANACHEE
    Avoid late varieties (Sucre Vert - Bourjassotte Noire - Col de Dame)
    COLD CLIMATES
    with late spring frosts (late April-early May) uncommon
    Production late July-early August and late September to October
    BROWN TURKEY - BRUNSWICK - DALMATIE - DOREE - LONGUE D'AOUT - MADELEINE DES DEUX SAISONS - NEGRONNE SULTANE - TENA
    Production in September to October
    COLD CLIMATES with frequent spring late frosts Production in September to October
    VERY COLD CLIMATE Temperatures below -16 to -18 oc (3 to 0F) Pot cultivation of varieties with low vigor BROWN TURKEY - BRUNSWICK - DALMATIE - DOREE - MADELEINE DES DEUX SAISONS - PASTILIERE

Click image for larger version

Name:	Calendario_de_variedades.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	39316
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Well done and thanks for all your hard work.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Good job. Thanks for posting. I see that Cole de Dame is the latest to ripen on the list.
      Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
      Tony
      Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Thanks, Kelby! Great info.
        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together and share with us Kelby.

Comment

Good stuff.

The ripening calendar is kind of interesting. I've heard that Panache is a late ripener but on the calendar it is only 2 weeks after RDB.

Can't wait to see what ripens when next year.
            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              I typically expect to pick some Panache around July 23rd here, FYI

thanks for that Kelby...answers a couple more questions...and raises a few more as well
            Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Felt like bumping this post. I was staring at it thinking of what to trial now that I thinned the herd, I figure someone else could benefit too!
              https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
              SE PA
              Zone 6

Comment

• Florida_Tom
                Florida_Tom commented
                Editing a comment
                #ripeningcalendar

The production calendar is quite up-to-date for the varieties I have personal observations of. Brown Turkey ripens a week after Brunswick and Noire de Bellone ripens about 10-15 days after RdB. But, what is "Sultane"? There seems to be a difference between Bellone and Sultane varieties.

Comment

Bigbill has sultane

Comment

Originally posted by fig Lebowski View Post
                  Bigbill has sultane
                  I also thought I had. But the data in this calendar shows another. According to this data, I have Bellone.

Comment

Most comprehensive info to date. Thank you!
                  wnc Z7a Hominy Valley
                  wish list: a world without Invasive Pests

Comment

Thanks for sharing!!
                    IE, CA; 9a. aka MotherofDragons. WL: Exquisito, Angelito, Thermalito, Black Manzanita.

Comment

If Pastilere is as early as Ronde de Bordeaux and Dalmatie ripens before Long d'Aout, I'll be very happy.
                      Last edited by jrdewhirst; 06-22-2019, 06:42 AM.
                      Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

• Serge
                        Serge commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Dalmatie was later that Randino.
                        Randino not earlier (maybe same) than MBVS and Malta black.
                        Dalmatie gives fruits long enough, more then 50% had not ripened in zone 5b (to 70%) North Ukraine in ground. But it was strong for winter survival buried under soil.
                        Discarded.

Thank you
                      Love growing from seeds!
                      Vancouver, zone 8a ?

Comment

Great job, thanks for sharing.
                        SoCal- Zone 9b

Comment

Thanks for your dedication and your hard work Kelby! This is valuable information for all of us.
                          Zone 8a. Virginia

Comment

Thank you, this is very helpful
                            New Milford, CT, Zone 6a
                            Wishlist: Smith, Sucrette, LSU Purple

Comment

Working...
                            X