X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galicia Negra, Petite Negra, Nero 600M, Maltese Falcon

Are they so different that one should grow all four?

Would just like your thour thoughts on the matter.

Thanks
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

not very many people can really answer this one - Galicia Negra is pretty rare and is fairly new to the scene
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Haviing just tasted three of those at Gary's....I can say that Galicia Negra stood out from all other figs tasted by a wide margin. It went on my list right after (actually during) the tasting...thank you Harvey

That's not saying you'll like it...as a matter of fact you won't...It was really terrible and no one else will like it at all....
      Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• jmaler
        jmaler commented
        Editing a comment

I agree, Galicia Negra was in an entirely different class at Gary's. I added it to my wishlist too.
      Sarah
      Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Jerry, I don't grow Petite Negri and have not tried one and honestly haven't heard enough about it to motivate me into growing it myself so I guess I can't include it in a "must grow" list.

My Maltese Falcon has been a slow grower for me and gave me one fig this year that was quite good but I don't recall getting that feeling "I can't wait until I get the next fruit". I have hopes that it will become a much larger tree next year and impress me more.

Nero600m has been a good grower for me, is productive, and fruits are very good. I don't think it's a very costly variety to acquire so think is one you should grow to see how it works out for you.

Galicia Negra is one of my favorites this year. It is a costly variety to acquire and prices other growers got for their trees on eBay have been pretty high and I can't help but wonder if my posting of photos and comments from folks that ate some of my fruits at Gary's influenced that. I expect to sell quite a few cuttings this next winter and would expect prices to come down. This variety has FMV pretty bad but it has still grown pretty well for me. My tree reached up to perhaps 4' tall last year and maybe 3' wide and produced one fruit which I last saw about two days before I thought it would be ripe. Talk about disappointment! LOL My tree grew much more this year and I initially didn't think I was going to get very many fruits but I'm guessing I picked at least two dozen. I believe I took six fruits of varying degrees of ripeness to Gary's which did not allow for very large samples but I think most people got a slice of two different fruits so that they could get more than one shot to evaluate. I've enjoyed every fruit I've tried very much and consider it a "must have" for my collection. I hope the fruits get larger and have seen a photo of the fruits from the original unknown tree in Spain and they do appear to be quite a bit larger than what mine have been. Neil told me privately a week or so after our gathering that he wasn't quite as impressed with Galicia Negra as what most others seem to be but he said that the sampling was pretty small and that he needed to withhold judgement until I could share a lot more fruits with him. I trust Neil enough to think this is not an instance of deploying reverse psychology on me, LOL. Neil likes figs with a good amount of acidity in the flavor so I can understand that he might be less impressed with it than others were. I like acidic figs and sweet figs and really greatly enjoy the diversity of fig types, though I do tend to get bored with sweet low-acid figs pretty quickly (nothing boring about a mouth that is feeling the effects of eating a lot of figs with some "bite" to them). Still, Galicia Negra has an complex flavor that I enjoy each and every time even if I pick the fruit a day or two before being "dead ripe". I've eaten maybe a dozen fruits myself, shared with my wife, my dad, my agronomist, and two CRFG fruit fanatic friends and all have enjoyed it very much. I've found Galicia Negra to be a bit more difficult to root than most and the high cost might warrant waiting until it becomes less rare. I've paid high prices for many varieties because I'm an impatient guy and I make sacrifices in other areas so I can have the things I really want.
        My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Geez, Harvey, Ross, and Sarah.... if you gush any more about the GN, I'll need a bigger place for next years Get-Together
          Gary USDA 9A
          Sebastopol, CA

Comment

• Sarahkt
            Sarahkt commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sorry, were we gushing? You mean you need more space to grow more GNs? You know, we all came away from the figganza with different figs than we arrived with (and I think I carried away somewhat more than I brought -- thanks again, Ross!).

That being said, an official party favor such as a beautiful rooted GN cutting, would be AWESOME. I kid. I'm sure I won't be able to wait a whole year before I have to buy one.

• rusty hooks
            rusty hooks commented
            Editing a comment
            carpooling and pop ups.......I have a few 10x10's as well

• Sarahkt
            Sarahkt commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd be happy to contribute to the carpool next year, for anyone else driving up from the East Bay.

Thanks to all of you for your input. It has really convinced me the Galicia Negra is a fig for my collection. I have Petite Negra (as named by Florida Hills Nursery) and Nero 600M. While I've not seen figs from these two, the leaves and growth habbit are so close that it got me wondering just how much difference there are between some of the fig varieties we chase after.

This is my first year collecting some the various varieties of figs out there. I started some from cuttings and others I acquired as plants. All are growing well and a few have produced late figs that probably will not ripen this year but offer high expectations for next year.

Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Working...
          X