X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Butte Fire in NorCal

I am about 40 miles southwest of the Butte Fire which started just slightly over 48 hours ago east of Jackson, CA. I ask that you keep all of the residents and firefighters in the area in your thoughts and prayers. We have been faced with high temperatures (up to 106F) and this fire has exploded in size. Thursday morning it was 4,100 acres, Thursday evening it was 14,700 acres, this morning it was 31,974 acres, and I've just read that it was now 50,000 acres with only 10% contained (CalFire's web site seems to be having some problems but did just update). I don't believe many homes have been lost yet but this afternoon the town of San Andreas was under mandatory evacuation orders. My cousin near Jackson was under a mandatory evacuation order yesterday afternoon but said today her home is safe. The governor has declared a state of emergency due to the fire. Even from 40 miles away in the very early morning hours (3-5am) I could see the reddish clouds of smoke while out irrigating. I read yesterday that the firefighters were so busy protecting homes that they were unable to make efforts to contain the fire's spread. I don't recall ever hearing of a fire that has spread so quickly.

Current events seem to be most available at https://twitter.com/hashtag/ButteFire?src=hash

Attached is a photo I took at 4:21am this morning (bright lights are early morning commuters near my farm).
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Wow, be safe Harvey.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Be safe Harvey! Hope the cooler temps coming your way will help with containment of the fire!
      Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

My only risk from this fire is smoke inhalation and that risk is low. Smoke has spread beyond my area this afternoon, the sunset will be very orange. I live in essentially the swamps with many rivers with our great risk always being that of flood. My home sits at sea level with my farmland being about +4 to -10 feet in elevation.

I'm guessing there are tens of thousands of folks that have been evacuated from the fire area. This is "Gold Country" with many nice wineries, etc.

Comment

Harvey I hope all who are in the way get out safely and you all get some rain quick!

Comment

Harvey, that is such a difficult area to fight a fire. I am definately praying for all in its vicinity.
            Gary USDA 9A
            Sebastopol, CA

Comment

The last few years California has more than its share of bad luck. We'll keep all you guys in our prayers.
              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Our thoughts and prayers for you and all your fellow Californians. Be safe please.
                Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Cal fires comment on the quick spread...."unprecedented"

more pink needed....temperature drop tomorrow...a little
                  Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Update: saw this posted on Facebook from a friend who was evacuated from San Andreas:

‎Uncensored Amador Calaveras Fire and Police
                    From Steve Kearney:
                    We had an update at 7 o'clock from law enforcement as well as CalFire.

The fire grew to 64,728 acres. With the increased size of the fire, even though the containment lines held, it is now only 5% contained. There was quite a blaze behind San Andreas which prompted the evacuation directive. Fortunately there was a long back fire lit and coming home tonight the fire looked much farther away from the town than it did earlier. The fire made another run on Mokelumne Hill, but they put it back and did not loose any ground on it. Fixed wings attack has been limited because the smoke kept them from making the drops, but helicopter type aircraft has been helping and when possible the larger DC-10 type aircraft have been making drops. There really is no way to tell how many structures have been lost, but I suspect it is many more than the 6 listed on some articles. Our dispatch system is very overwhelmed, with some of our repeater technology failing to extend communication ability with our emergency personnel due to losses in the fire. 10,843 homes are on the evacuation list and more could come if the fire is not held. With the higher humidity predicted over night the fire fighters could catch a break as at one time this fire was moving at 60-70 feet per minute.

Comment

Be safe Harvey.
                      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Fires and drought what a combo. Good luck to those of you out west.
                        Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the whole state of Cali and its residents. I come from a country that is also plagued by fires every single summer and having witnessed it first hand , I know that when the inferno gets this close to you you can't help but feel helpless and small. Fire is a force of nature easier to prevent and plan for ,that deal with and fight when it comes, especially when there's no water around.
                          Be safe Harvey.

Comment

Be safe, Harvey!
                            The SoCal is preparing for the same. There are so many dead dry trees around and dry grass that it is a matter of time only. This drought sucks a big time
                            USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

As Gary, quoted, this fire's conditions are unprecedented. Over 64,000 acres in 2.5 days is really crazy. I was hearing on the radio a guy from Cal Fire was saying that the problem was compounded because of our hot weather (over 100F) and the nights also stayed warm with low humidity so the fires raged 24 hours a day whereas most nights here cool down and we get high humidity so this gives better conditions for fighting the fire. As of the update this morning, 15 structures have been lost with thousands more at risk.

Weather has cooled today which is good, but winds have also picked up.

Comment

Wow, that pic you posted Harvey is scary! I can only imagine what a fire that huge looks like. Best wishes and good karma for everyone who lives in northern California!
                                Steve
                                D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                                WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

BTW, some of you will recall that a few months ago I worked with a lady who helped rescue Bruno, a black lab that I found near my farm. This same lady has been posting photos on her Facebook page of the fire scene as she has helped others who are coordinating efforts to save abandoned pets, pets that have run off, etc. These animal rescue folks are something else.

I could not see the fire from my place this morning, most likely because of the thick smoke now covering the entire area.

Again, there is zero risk of any wildfire here at my place. But my brother was reflecting with my cousin (who has been evacuated from her home near Jackson) on how we all came together when we lost our home to a flood in June 1972, along with all of our crops, much of our possessions, etc. Makes one appreciate all that they do have after they have recovered from such an event.

Comment

It's now been confirmed that 86 homes (!!!) and 51 outbuildings have been destroyed by this fire. The fire size is remaining pretty stable since this morning at 65,000 acres with containment increasing from 10% to 15%. Temperatures were cooler than the forecast for today and presently there is very little wind in my area (and probably in the are of the fire as well), so I am hopeful that further progress can be made.

Comment

New fire in lake county yesterday...Valley fire...went from 50 acres to over 45,000 overnight. This one hit home....my sons friend just bought a piece of property and a new modular home...right in the middle of what burned.....my honda generator was up there helping him get set up...oh well

The fire burned through Middletown last night...about 1/2 of the homes were damaged or destroyed...

this one is closer to home ...going out to clear more grass today...just in case

thankfully it start raining lightly yesterday and it's on and off this am

Brutal fire season this year...leaves falling are crisp, grass is crisp, trees are dying on open land...pray for rain

went out to water this morning just now....ash fallout on the figs...this one's close
                                      Last edited by rusty hooks; 09-13-2015, 12:33 PM.
                                      Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• HarveyC
                                        HarveyC commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Wow, Rusty, sorry to hear that. Hope these cooler temperatures and the little rain you've had there are enough to help them get it under control. The Butte Fire is remaining fairly stable in size with containment increasing. We have a lot of smoke in our area (but no ash) and I don't know if it's from the Valley Fire up by you or the Butte Fire. The humidity here is higher and that should help.

• HarveyC
                                        HarveyC commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        For the sake of others, here is the CalFire link to the Valley Fire near Rusty that started yesterday: http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents...cident_id=1226
                                    Working...
                                    X