X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking Dead Figs?

You know you're a fig nut when you look for fig trees in a zombie TV series.

Season 5 Episode 09 at the 29 minute mark...are those fig trees behind the walkers being massacred? Can someone confirm?
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Yes! I saw that too!
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

In the episode just two weeks ago, when they go to "the new kid's" home and find [edit] [cotton candy and unicorns], I can swear there are some fig trees near the porch between the two houses. I'll have to look up the episode. I think I also saw one last season, too. It is filmed on location in Georgia, so it is not unlikely.....
      Jim
      Last edited by Needaclone; 02-25-2015, 09:05 PM.
      Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

You should have added Spoiler alert!!
        Brian
        Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

Brian,
          Sorry, I must have zombie brains for brains. I'll go back and edit it.
          Jim
          Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

• Yeehova
            Yeehova commented
            Editing a comment
            It's my fault since I just cancelled cable in favor of Netflix. You didn't really spoil anything.

You fig hoarders........
          Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Yes there are alot of old homes in Senoia Grantville area. Sherman and friends missed them so probably some old figs. Some friends of ours mother just sold her historic Civil war era home there last year. I have not gotten into the "walking dead" but the folks that bought it rent it out to the series for some episodes as the funeral parlor. Newnandawg is just 20 minutes up the road he needs to scout out the figs,
            Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• newnandawg
              newnandawg commented
              Editing a comment
              Not my cup of tea TV show even if the filming is just down the road. I will try to determine the location and maybe check out the figs. Chances are they would be Southern Brown Turkey, which is ok if you don't have access to any other figs.

That's not the sort of series I'd ever watch (zombies????), but a friend insisted I watch.. and I've really been enjoying it. Didn't notice the fig trees, but I was impressed in the prison court yard, they had an actual garden growing.. Not just pulled up wilted plants.
            SoCal, zone 10.
            www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• FMD
              FMD commented
              Editing a comment
              The zombie genre can be unexpectedly quite good these days, Gina.

• Gina
              Gina commented
              Editing a comment
              So it seems. I've enjoyed it enough to be somewhat more open-minded about the concept.

Zombies - the gift that keeps giving.

Here are some of my Walking Dead figs on display - Ugly but oh so good!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1615188.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	4277

Name:	2038040.jpeg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	4278

Name:	2038037.jpeg
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	4279

Name:	1615187.jpeg
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	4280

Frank Tallahasee 8B
            North Florida Figs

Comment

If they bleed near the fig trees does eating those figs make you a zombie?
              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I could not tell you what season nor what episode, but I swore I saw a fig tree up against a house to the left of the porch if looking at the house from the street. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing figs everywhere.

Scott
                Last edited by COGardener; 02-26-2015, 03:49 PM.
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Originally posted by FMD
                  The zombie genre can be unexpectedly quite good these days, Gina.
                  And here I thought that your thread (with such a title) would be about fig trees you thought were dead, but turned out not to be, and had almost seemed to have come back from beyond. I have a tree for which I'm still hoping for something like that. It's a Verte (Bass), and it seemed to die last winter (winter of 2013-14). And I've been reporting it elsewhere as gone. All of the top had clearly died back. But I kept watering it occasionally throughout 2014 anyway, "just in case". At the end of the season when I was putting all of the potted trees into cold storage, I went to reuse the pot that one was in for something else. Lo and behold, I found green still under some of the root bark. I'd heard of trees that have living roots but no tops (but not sure I've ever heard of them making new tops... some controversy about that but I've never seen it happen for a tree that has no top growth at all to come back). So I hastily repotted those roots in fresh soil, watered them in, let drain, kept out for a week or so and put it into winter storage with the rest. I don't have much hope for it, but it doesn't cost much to keep it around for another year, "just in case".

One more comment about coming back from roots only: I do hear about trees that "died back to the roots" and then made new tops, but it's really not clear if it truly died back to roots or just some trunk that's below the soil line, or some life inside that wasn't apparent. I've asked others about this, e.g. taking roots (really roots) from root pruning, and seeing them sprout a new top. I've never seen it happen, and others (e.g. Jon / encanto) said they've seen roots stay apparently alive and growing without tops for years, but never produce a top. There was some discussion about the chemical processes involved in the initiation of top growth (which I didn't know much about). So my question: Has anyone here seen new tops spring from roots (really roots) that they had pruned?

(Frank, forgive me if this question seems like hijacking your thread about zombies... or does this qualify as part of your broad "undead" topic?) (If appropriate, I'll spawn a new thread instead)
                  Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

No problem at all, Mike. I can't answer your question specifically but boy do I specialize in undead fig trees! This year, especially as half my orchard has died back to the ground. Most will be resurrect as usual, fortunately.
                    Frank Tallahasee 8B
                    North Florida Figs

Comment

Originally posted by FMD View Post
                      No problem at all, Mike. I can't answer your question specifically but boy do I specialize in undead fig trees! This year, especially as half my orchard has died back to the ground. Most will be resurrect as usual, fortunately.
                      And you get adequate fruits when they are cut back to the ground? Although I live in a warm area, that is how I wanted to take care of some of my figs - every year prune them back almost to the ground. I don't want trees because of the views, and there isn't enough room for me to plant the ones I want to keep. At one point I wanted a hedge, and I still might do that. But the never-ending gophers worry me.
                      SoCal, zone 10.
                      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Well Gina, some will come back with a vengeance producing an adequate number of fruit but others won't. If I had a choice, I would definitely choose your climate over mine. With some cultivars, I'm always playing catch-up.
                        Speaking of severe pruning, check out my "Too Much?" post.
                        Last edited by FMD; 02-27-2015, 06:17 AM.
                        Frank Tallahasee 8B
                        North Florida Figs

Comment

• Gina
                          Gina commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the info. Here I think they would do well if one only looked cross-eyed at them.

A little OT @Gina...
                        Love the Frida Kahlo avatar!

Comment

• Gina
                          Gina commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks. It's one of my favorites.

Come to think of it, Frida would have fit right in with the zombie genre.

(See? Not OT at all. )

I let my plants root into the ground and can't get all the roots out of the ground when I bring the pots inside. I've had roots stay alive for years and never produce stems.
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Thanks for that info Bob. It matches what I've seen. Just hard to be sure of a negative like that though, hence the question of whether anyone has seen it happen.
                          Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

Working...
                          X