X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, my, check this out

Sorry to redirect your attention to the other forum, but this is kinda interesting:
    http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....0745?trail=100
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Bass’ Favorite Fig, Raspberry Tart, Cavaliere

That's making my head hurt. No real academic would do that...
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

That was my thought too!
      But remember, he was doing his research in Cannabis, that got to leave a mark somewhere ...
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Bass’ Favorite Fig, Raspberry Tart, Cavaliere

Comment

I misread something, he's no longer in academia, sounds nutty at the least.
        Last edited by Kelby; 02-25-2015, 07:03 PM.
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

If you read earlier in the email thread, it turns out that the PhD he's railing against is Dr. Ruth ;-D
          Cheers,
          Jim
          Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Hhhmmmnnn, he claims that the Japanese have stumbled across a way to hybridize two common fig cultivars without introducing a caprifig or wasps etc. Basically he is stating this process is akin to how marijuana, a dioecious plant with seperate male and female plants, can be stimulated by breeders to soley produce feminized seeds. Very interesting topic. He is shouting all figs are hermaphrodic at the top of his lungs though! Whatever hormone he is talking of, he is suggesting we work on our fig breeding with it.
            RI Zone 6a
            Container Herder

Comment

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....eeding-7312817
              RI Zone 6a
              Container Herder

Comment

Good grief! It is good he started a new thread, the previous one would run out of pages in a few hours.
                The stuff he is talking about is quite interesting but requires some time to digest.

Comment

My guess it's the guy - abcd - who was just banned from f4f .

edit - changed my mind.. Like Rewton, I think chemicals are involved.
                  Last edited by Gina; 02-26-2015, 12:33 AM.
                  SoCal, zone 10.
                  www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• PasturedFigs
                    PasturedFigs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I dunno - this poster doesn't appear to have mastered different color and sized text. Although heady, the subject material is perhaps one of the most exciting things to happen to the fig breeding scene in recent memory - if genuine. I'm not discounting this character yet.

Sounds more like Austin Powers after the thawing process! Can't control the volume of HIS VOICE! !!!

Comment

I'm thinking meth is involved somehow...
                    Steve
                    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                    WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Yes who ever he is he appears to be having some kind of break down on the form. Just ranting about stupid pot grower (who are not). Look at all the advancements in indoor lighting and growing and that's where it's all coming from. The orchid people are always looking at what the pot growers are doing to grow better indoors.
                      NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

As an aside, If anyone comes to ourfigs.com and starts ranting, spamming, or posting disturbing things, let the moderators know so if the person crosses a line, we can deal with them in a timely manner. Of course sometimes it's difficult to know what 'the line' is.
                        Last edited by Gina; 02-26-2015, 12:34 AM.
                        SoCal, zone 10.
                        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I'm thinking he's going to explode. At least it got Marie to read the forum for the first time so it's not all bad. Lol
                          Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

The theory he is introducing could be the Holy Grail of Fig breeding. By forcing the breba crop to produce pollen by administering GA3 and then applying that pollen to the main crop of another common fig, the resulting seeds would be a cross of the two without the use of caprifigs or wasps. Rambling, yes. But this could be gold to anyone who wants to experiment in breeding. This is like a state secret getting out if the resulting S1 hybrids prove stable.
                            RI Zone 6a
                            Container Herder

Comment

The theory may have some merit although most of the work is done on pot. There are a lot of if's there. I did some quick searching but did not find much. For some reason I think I have used GA3 but don't remember why. Might have been to induce kei kei in orchids...
                              NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Oh it looks like someone is going to try it.
                                NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Shouldn't his English at least be up to forming complete sentences if he is a PhD? And why did he mispell Dioecious a hundred times and suddenly start spelling it correctly? I think Steve is on the right track....
                                  Rafael
                                  Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Some people just demand instant respect with out paying there dues, or worse, not even introducing them selves to a forum in a correct manor. Its one thing to spout some facts, its another to shove it in peoples faces for the whole world to feel. I felt like he was invading my personal space, but I wasn't standing next to him!

Comment

Yeah, he might into something. He just needs to work on the presentation. I know a few academical nutheads and he will fit right in.

Comment

Any of you guys want to buy a bridge? (roughly equivalent to: Can you recognize total bs when you see it?)
                                        Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

Bridge: yes!
                                          Recognize total bs: hardly

Does the bridge have an ocean view??
                                          Last edited by greenfig; 02-26-2015, 01:18 AM.

Comment

I don't think this guy realizes that 99.9% of us use clones, not seeds. I agree he's strung out on something.
                                            SE PA
                                            Zone 6

Comment

He is way too uptight. I'm tempted to tell him 'relax', but that will just keep him going.
                                              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

He has not only been growing hemp, but using it regularly, by the sounds of his posts. Pot users often think they are saying something rational and understandable by those they are spouting off to, when their thought process and verbal output is actually rather disjointed. A lot of delusions of grandeur there also.

Either that or he has gone off his meds.

Not saying that he might not have an important point but he is not 'right'
                                                Last edited by eboone; 02-26-2015, 09:37 AM.
                                                Ed
                                                SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Working...
                                                X