X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Bears Luv Pears

Went up to my cabin today where my more mature fruit plantings are to do some work and picking, A lot less to pick on some things then I was expecting. I have been battling little fruit flies and such, well mother Nature sent her A team to pay me a visit. Apparently These bears have tastes similar to mine as they really worked over my Korean Giant Asian, even breaking off the central leader, lesser damage to some others. They worked over couple chestnut trees as well. Breaking off a branch at the crotch that was likely 6 inches. I think it might have been a family as I don't believe One that heavy could have even climbed some of my smaller trees that had branches broken high. They sure did scar up everything climbing that for sure. The didn't much bother the Kieffer pears, so maybe they are not real southern bears don't like a rock hard gritty pear. Left lots of land mines about as well showing they been eating local persimmon and I think some pawpaw, but they only appeared to break one kaki persimmon branch. Very few of my persimmon had fruit this year believe they got hit with late frost, but I did pick some Matsumoto they that were showing enough color they will ripen. Really don't want to risk them destroying that tree.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Man, tough luck Phil! Persimmons looks great, at least.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

When I saw Kelby had replied I was afraid he was going to ask me for the persimmon and Pawpaw seed.

Comment

• Kelby
        Kelby commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, if you really feel like digging through the bear scat I won't complain. Really could use those asian pear seeds .

Geez, I guess the squirrels really aren't so bad after all.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

I'm so glad we don't have bears here, tough luck! I hope they regrow well for you.
        Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

I am sorry about you trees... Look positively... At least your BEARS win😉 S&W 500 snub survival kit should give him his last meal.and maybe new rug?.. I ship to you but is too heavy ahahaha!
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I've only had one bear in my neighborhood, game and wildlife came and got the little fellow before anything happened. That is a good amount of damage, I hope threes recover without much issue Phil. I would venture to say your visitor will return if you leave anything out there.

If Fabio wasn't laid up he, he would take the bear down with a butter knife and a smile. And we would be eating bear steaks tonight... LOL
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I have thought about taking a bear in the past. I have the license/permit to do it, but they are such impressive animals I have always decided to try and live with them. I am not much of a trophy hunter, and I don't think I would like dressing it out or eating it and am certain my wife would not allow in the kitchen. Here in GA all you need besides your standard hunting license is a big game license which allows you to take deer,bear, and turkey. so for I think $26 dollars total in permit fees and I have 2 gun safes with several options that would handle bear. In past it was mostly my nut trees they tore up, but as my other fruit trees start producing more I am sure they will just attract another as they are not uncommon in the area. pretty much have some around each year. Kind of frustrating as many the trees just coming into good production and a few years behind at my full time residence, but hopefully They will not destroy to many trees just some of the harvest. The only effective protect I have heard is Plywood sheets full of nail spikes surrounding the trees, and I don't want to mess with that. At my cabin location another would just move in or through and I don't want to get into a cycle of removing bears.

Comment

Working...
              X