X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Instant Orchard fundraiser for Ourfigs

A while ago I communicated with Wills about a benefit auction for Ourfigs. I'd like to run that auction this week.

I did a 1 to 2 node mini-rooted cutting experiment this year. As a consequence, I have some extra mini rooted cuttings in little plastic cups. The cups are 2.5 inches in diameter, 3 inches tall. The mini cuttings have grown on average about 2 to 4 inches out of the peat, and most are very slender, as if they were tissue culture starts (though they are not). These are not the most-well rooted cuttings you will ever see, even for mini-cuttings. It's not an experiment I expect to repeat. However, with some TLC these mini-rooted cuttings should pull through.

I will ship 8 of these mini rooted cuttings in their cups in a medium priority mail box. I'll ship 4 boxes of 8.

So, 4 prizes: 4 mini instant orchards.
    3 prizes by auction to end this Friday at 9 p.m. Eastern time: top 3 bidders are winners, per details below.
    1 prize by first come, first served NEXT WEEK, per details below.

The fig selection is listed below, including multiples of some as noted. See photos for overview.

In the auction, the first place finisher gets the pick of 8 cultivars; then the second place finisher picks 8; then the third place finisher picks 8.

The second and third place finishers are not bound to their bid: meaning, they can choose to donate no money, and thus receive no mini-rooted cuttings. (Since they didn't win, they may not want what is left.) Take it or leave it; donate your final bid and select 8 or pass altogether. If any bidder passes, then the next highest bidder(s) will have the option to take or leave 8 for the donation of their final bid.

Winners will need to donate their final bids directly to Wills for Ourfigs in the manner in which he prefers. I'll ship after Wills/Ourfigs gets paid.

This will leave a fourth and final box of 8 mini-rooted cuttings. When it is known what those final 8 are, I'll list their names and announce a date and approximate time next week when I will start a new thread at Ourfigs saying that this final box of 8 is available. The first person to respond to it wins the final box of 8, at no cost.

Unless Wills has any objection, the auction bidding starts now and will continue through 9:00 p.m. Friday evening, Eastern time. Any bid time-stamped 9:01 p.m. or later is too late. Any bid time-stamped 9:00 p.m. counts in order of being placed.

the list of mini-rooted cuttings:

1 Battaglia Green
    1 Champagne
    1 Cucumber
    1 Emerald Strawberry (143-36)
    1 Jose #3
    1 LSU Purple
    1 Malta Purple Red
    1 Marseilles Black
    1 Mega Celeste
    1 Mt Etna Unknown
    1 Nero 600m
    1 Scott's Black
    1 Takoma Violet
    1 Violet de Bordeaux
    1 Violet Sepor ??? (probably but possible mix-up)
    1 Vista
    2 Hunt
    2 Paradiso GM-9
    2 White Triana
    2 Wuhan
    3 Beall
    4 Gino's Black
    4 LSU Improved Celeste
    2 Unknown (probably Nero 600m & Emerald Strawberry (143-36) but, if so, don't know which is which)
    2 Unknown (probably Brooklyn Dark or Hollier; both are very small)
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Great idea. I'll start with $30
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Ok, I'll bite $40.00.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I'll bid 50$..
        Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Fun! I bid $60
          Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

• COGardener
            COGardener commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice Adam!!!

Very nice of you Tony
          Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

where's Hershell? I heard he needs more fig trees
            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Originally posted by fitzski View Post
              where's Hershell?
              Chattanooga. Probably abusing employees.
              Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Does he have no proxy to place bids for him? If he were to win I could include an extra half ounce of peat moss.
                Tony WV 6b

Comment

I bid $70..
                  Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

upping my bid to $75
                    Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

I bid $80. Mostly for the Beall, which was delicious at Gary's figganza.
                      Sarah
                      Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Bump

Awesome Sarah!!!!!
                        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

It's my birthday next week so what the hell, who doesn't need more fig trees

Here's my one and only bid, $85.

Remember the top 3 bids win

Comment

Is it over?

Comment

Ended at 9 PM eastern time.

Congrats to the winners!!!

Comment

If I'm reading the thread correctly:

1st: $85 --- fitzski --- Kevin
                                2nd: $80 --- sarahkt --- Sarah
                                3rd: $75 --- AdamD123 -- Adam

Kevin, let me know which 8 you choose when you're ready. That will get the picking started. Then we'll go from there.
                                Tony WV 6b

Comment

Hi Tony,

Here's my list: Malta Purple Red, Takoma Violet, White Triana, Beall (after Sarah's recommendation), Gino's Black, LSU Improved Celeste and the 2 Brooklyn Dark/Hollier unknowns.

PM me with Wills paypal address and I'll send him payment this weekend.

Comment

• mountainfigs
                                    mountainfigs commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Are your more interested in Brooklyn Dark or Hollier? I have a couple extra of these mini rooted cuttings that I know are Brooklyn Dark, and so could send. However it remains the fact that I have no known mini Holliers. Do you still want the two either-ors on the chance that one of them is a Hollier?

I don't have Brooklyn Dark or Hollier so i'm not picky. You can send the two either-ors on the chance one might be a Hollier.

Thanks again for offering such a wide selection.

Comment

Doh! Takoma Violet and Malta Purple Red gone? How irritatingly discerning.

Hey Kevin, if the Brooklyn Dark/Hollier ends up not being Hollier, I should have at least one or two extra Hollier cuttings when I trim mine. It rooted earlier this year and has been growing like a weed. Disclaimer is mine hasn't fruited yet, so I'm not 100% positive, but the leaves look correct and I have absolutely no reason to think it's not what it should be. Feel free to PM me if you'd like them.

Tony, thanks for hosting! Just PayPal'ed Wills. My list if the Malta Purple Red and Takoma Violet are gone, is this: Beall (nice instant gratification getting it so soon after putting it on my list! , Paradiso, White Triana, Gino's Black, Emerald Strawberry, Scott's Black, LSU Purple, and ... probably the Violet Sepor possibility. I don't know much about that last one but have only heard positive things.

Thanks again!
                                    Sarah
                                    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• fitzski
                                      fitzski commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Sarah, you're first in line for cuttings for the Takoma Violet and Malta Purple Red, ok?

Those were the two that I've been looking for and all the others I don't have.

Overall, not bad for just over $10 per tree.

• Sarahkt
                                      Sarahkt commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Oh, sorry, I was kidding, I'm pretty sure trading season is coming up anyway. I posted a list of my trees that will need pruning in the winter, including Hollier. You're welcome to cuttings of that and whatever else you fancy.

Yeah, this has been a fun way to get a bunch of new varieties at once. Thanks again, Tony!

• fitzski
                                      fitzski commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I agree, Sarah. This has been a great way to get a bunch of varieties at once.

Thanks again, Tony.

Tony,

Very well run and thank you very much. Sara's payment has already come in.

Comment

Congrats Kevin and Sarah! You guys have great taste......

since Tony and I crossed posts.....I'm still in the game...woo hoo! see my post below.....
                                      Last edited by AdamD123; 09-19-2015, 06:07 PM. Reason: changed my mind due to availability of figs
                                      Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

Okay, we are crossing posts here. I'll just note that I do currently have an extra Emerald Strawberry, per below.

Kevin and Sarah have selected, and the ones below remain, if I'm not mistaken.

I left Emerald Strawberry on the list because as it turns out I have another one of those. I also may have another LSU Purple available (or cuttings at minimum), so that remains on the list too:

1 Emerald Strawberry (143-36)
                                        1 Jose #3
                                        1 LSU Purple
                                        1 Marseilles Black
                                        1 Mega Celeste
                                        1 Mt Etna Unknown
                                        1 Nero 600m
                                        1 Violet de Bordeaux
                                        1 Vista
                                        2 Hunt
                                        1 Paradiso GM-9
                                        2 Wuhan
                                        1 Beall
                                        2 Gino's Black
                                        3 LSU Improved Celeste
                                        2 Unknown (probably Nero 600m & Emerald Strawberry (143-36) but, if so, don't know which is which)
                                        Last edited by mountainfigs; 09-19-2015, 04:47 PM.
                                        Tony WV 6b

Comment

OK Tony.....since the Emerald Strawberry is back in the game...and we haven't heard from Erick yet.....I'll go ahead and pick 8....My picks are: Emerald Strawberry (143-36), Beall, Champagne, Battaglia Green, Vista, Nero 600m, Hunt and Gino's black. Do let me know if any are not available sine i see a few were removed from the original list...
                                          Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

• Erick
                                            Erick commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Have I missed something, I've been following this thread. I thought just the top three won..

• mountainfigs
                                            mountainfigs commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Yes, the top 3 won, per post 17. Adam though about passing his pick, which would have passed to you, but then he decided to make his picks in the end.

• Erick
                                            Erick commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Yes I see post 17 but I missed the post where Adam said he was going to pass. I was hoping someone would pass.. Thanks for hosting Tony..

That's great, Adam. All of those are available.
                                          Tony WV 6b

Comment

Working...
                                          X