X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Dark Is Light and Light Is Dark

These are dark skin figs: Ginoso (a Mt Etna) and Sal's Corleone (Palermo Red). [Correction: the supposed Sal's C. is actually a Conadria so it should be light; however, further dark-become-light fig examples and photos are provided below.] They have a similar blanched skin color here, apparently because they were grown deep in a thick hedge into which not much light can penetrate. Improved Celeste, Hunt, a number of Mt Etna, LSU Purple, all behaving similarly where the fruit is deep in hedge away from sun.

Both were sweet and flavorful and juicy. Sweet skin, sweet pulp, especially Ginoso, which was the more flavorful and less juicy.

Additional photos show: 3 Mt Etna Unknown figs across the top row, Brooklyn White in the middle (white as it should be), Takoma Violet on the right, and 2 Spanish Unknown (Mt Etna) as the bottom row. All of these figs were ripe and sweet. Takoma Violet was the most exposed to sun and therefore was darkest. The Brooklyn White fig is included to show just how light the typically dark figs can ripen. These dark-become-light figs are sweet though usually not as sweet as when they ripen dark. That said, I've had less sweet dark versions of these figs. And the 2 Spanish Unknown figs, though very light here, were very close to their typical sweetness level when ripening dark. Photoed are the top sides of these figs, the would be darkest sides.

Also added some dark ripe photos of these figs from earlier in the year.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.
    Last edited by mountainfigs; 09-15-2015, 11:11 AM.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Tony,

Are you certain either of those is Sal's Corleone? Neither of the interior color pics looks correct to me either for Sals, I don't have Palermo Red, but believe my Sal's Corleone is consistent with what I have seen others post
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Phil, thanks for catching that. It's not Sal's C., it's Conadria. I dove into the hedge to check. The Sal's C. growing next to it is not ripening its main crop at this point. I'll correct my post above and make some additions.
Working...
X