X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Riverside 278-128

I thought I posted on this fig prior, but seems I did not, or maybe in one of my group pictures. This fig was not ripe so I didn't take a interior pic as it would not represent correct but it has a significant eye and I could see it was starting to spoil and I am destroying anything headed that way trying to curb my SWD issues. BUt I just wanted to show the size of this cultivar. The 3 I have got off a spring 2014 cutting have been huge. The first couple tasted pretty good as I recall, but this was starting to sour at eye and majority was not ripe and taste was as expected. After they swell up huge they seem to take forever to ripen. If big impresses you, which is not really to me as large seems to equate to large eyes you might like this one
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

What color is the flesh? Looks a lot like an UNK from NYC I have called Fico Bianco which has amber flesh with pink spots, it's also XL and that same yellow green. The open eye and open cavity inside is usually an ant gateway for me.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Supposed to be a great fig. Unfortunately I killed off a cutting of it that I had. I would be interested in comparisons of this fig to LSU Gold, also to Armenian.
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

The large light fig on the cutting board is the only interior pic I can find, and also the smallest of the 3 I have had so far. While the fig shape and interior look similar, I think every one of these so far has been bigger than any LSU Gold I have had and my 3 year ingound LSU put off some big one within that last couple weeks. The foliage is not similar either. I will try take a pic today and post foliage. I don't have Armenian to compare.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• mountainfigs
          mountainfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Just to be clear, I'm not questioning whether or not these 3 cultivars are the same. I'm sure they are all different. I've been wondering what might be the best of the biggest light figs. Golden Riverside, LSU Gold, Armenian, and Deanna are the leading contenders that I'm aware of. I have Gold and Armenian but not much experience with them yet.

Here is one of my photos of it this year. I'm guessing they may have been caprified, don't really know for sure.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
        My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Ok, good pics. Fico Bianco has an even bigger center cavity. Often full of protein, if you follow me.
          https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
          SE PA
          Zone 6

Comment

A nice looking fig of a proper size!
            Thanks for posting!
            Phil, is your tree large enough for a cutting or 2 in the Fall? Maybe we trade something up.
            USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• Bijan
              Bijan commented
              Editing a comment
              I hope I'm not interfering... If you are close to the O.C. Airport, I can bring a one gallon tree in a couple of weeks.

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Igor, I'm hurt. You don't want to &quot;play&quot; with me??? LOL

• greenfig
              greenfig commented
              Editing a comment
              Harvey,
              I am a bit slow today, sorry ...
              What do you mean?

I have been interested in the idea of UCR278-128 being a kind of insurance fig for very dry summers in Georgia. Is that a good idea strudeldog?

Comment

• strudeldog
              strudeldog commented
              Editing a comment
              Shah, I am not following thoughts of insurance for dry summers? I am sure the fruit would be superior in a dry conditions and think sure most figs would. I planted out a lot of trees this year and during a couple month dry stretch I did water them a few times but after establishment in ground I doubt I would ever have to water them again. Is there an attribute of Golden Riverside that you think it would enhance it more than others in dry conditions or dry conditions would just improve it?

• shah8
              shah8 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, most figs would do better here in drier weather, I guess instead of insurance, I could say that it would be nice to keep one to heighten anticipation whenever North Georgia gets in the more Medit climate it can get on occasion. This fig interests me in particular because people consistently note an excellent depth for a honey fig when grown in hot conditions. Sesame, nut kind of depth along with the honey...

Shah,

I can likely get you cutting if you want to try it. Remind me this winter.

Comment

Working...
            X