X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympian 2015 main crop

I harvested a fig off my TC Olympian tree a few days ago. It ripened in the midst of a torrential downpour, but still managed to have a pleasantly sweet flavor and dense texture. The wife gave it a thumbs up, so Olympian gets a pass for another year of evaluation. There are still several more on the tree that should ripen. I should (assuming Mother Nature doesn't get mad at me) get to taste one ripening under more favorable conditions later this season.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Nice to see the "fruits" of the TC program! !!

I limited my Olympian to just one fig this since it started producing just after July 1st.

It's been hot and dry at home, hope it's at least add good as yours Johnny!

Get any pineberries yet?
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• jkuo
      jkuo commented
      Editing a comment
      No pineberries this year. A lot of my strawberry and pineberry plants have met their demise from a combination of neglect and a downed birch tree. I've had trouble getting out to my garden this year since my oldest (who used to like playing outside) now insists on playing inside. Next season I'll be moving more berries to containers on my patio so they'll get more attention and my boys will be more likely to enjoy them if they're within easy picking reach.

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      It's always something!

Hopefully next year is better.

Looks yummy. It's one on my wisk list.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

How's the taste of Olympian? Would you associate it with any of the flavor groups or does it taste like any other figs?
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

I'm not sure how to categorize the flavor. I didn't detect any berry notes, so my initial impression is that falls under the sugar category? I'll have to try a few more to form a better opinion of the flavor.
        Johnny
        Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

Bought some T-C Olympian/Wellspring Gdns. (April 2014), and the tiny trees grew like weeds. By June '14 they even produced little figlets, which I nipped out. The trees grew to at least 5 ft. high before onset of dormancy. This season, the trees produced a small number of main-crop figs and they ripened, and were quickly eaten. Figs are about the size/color of a good Brown Turkey fig, and they had a very pleasant, figgy, taste. The texture of the fig pulp was thick and creamy, and as the trees get older, I'm sure the fig production will increase. Know this: I love any figs, so it don't take much to make me happy.

I will continue to grow, and trial this variety, and will make no judgements regarding fig taste qualities, as the trees are still very young. I will wait for at least 3-4 years before I say yes, or no. So far, I'm happy...the trees were cheap, are disease-free, are vigorous, and the figs taste good. That's all I need. I've said it before and I will say it again, TC fig trees are a real bargain, peform well, and I would buy more in the future.

I wish they would T-C propagate some disease-free versions for some of the more "exotic" varieties, like Genovese Nero, Black Madiera, etc.

Frank

Comment

Working...
          X