X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripen Figs

My fig trees are full of green figs, but are slow to ripen. I don't have any fancy variety, brown turkey and Chicago, I think that's the names. Is there anything I can do to help these figs ripen. More water, fertilize. Im in zone 6. Thanks, just found this site, I love it.

Welcome to Ourfigs Stubby!

Not much you can do to help them ripen. There are some that say
    you can rub some olive oil on the eye and that will. Never tried it
    myself.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Figs take anywhere from 2-4 months to ripen and there isn't much you can do to speed it up.

As newnandawg mentions, a couple of weeks before ​a fig will ripen on it's own, you may be able to speed the ripening by about a week with a drop of oil in the eye. It may negatively affect the taste/texture of the fig.

Some say that stripping leaves around the ripening fig so that it is hit directly with as much light as possible will speed things along.

The more light and heat that you can get to it, the better.

Stressors can slow things down so you would want to make sure that it is properly watered, fertilized (not excessively), not root bound, no spider mites, etc.

Some will reduce watering to try to concentrate the flavor in the figs at the end of ripening.

If it doesn't ripen before the frost hits and they are in containers, you could bring it indoors to finish ripening or shuffle them in and out on cold nights. It can be difficult to ripen figs in ground in zone 6 most years if they aren't protected and die back down to the ground.

Good luck.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Also remove any new figs that are forming along with small figs that have no chance of ripening. There is no sense in having the tree push energy into fruit that will never ripen. This will not speed anything up however, just making life better for the tree.
        Last edited by COGardener; 09-16-2015, 06:45 PM.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I guess I will just have to have some patience. I have stripped the leaves before but it could have been just perfect weather that year, its hard to tell if it even helped. The figs did die back but came back.
          I like the idea of removing the very small ones, thanks I will do that for sure. I have kept them watered and we did have high temps, in the 100's a few weeks ago. Ok, I was just wondering if there was some sort of fertilizer I could use to help them ripen. Thanks so much. and Good luck with your figs.

Comment

Working...
          X