X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature range for storing fig cuttings?

Unfortunately not all my fig plants will fit in my basement cold room so some in the larger pots will need to overwinter in the garage. As a backup I would like to take cuttings of these fig plants and store the cuttings in the cold room.

What is a safe temperature range for the cuttings? I think the cold room was around 45 degrees F last year.

Thanks in advance.
    Angela - Southwestern Ontario - zone 6a

Cuttings are usually stored in the crisper drawers of refrigerators which are 38°F - 41°F or 3°C - 5°C.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• YATAMA
      YATAMA commented
      Editing a comment
      Leon, simply tell wife cuttings are merely "PRE FRUIT"

• grasshopper
      grasshopper commented
      Editing a comment
      There is always space in the drawers all the way in the back. You just haven't discovered it yet

• Heavy2600
      Heavy2600 commented
      Editing a comment
      ***Tell your spouse that they can go in the crisper, or be started immediately and smell like cat pee when the sun is bright.

You can always just root them all and keep them as houseplants until spring.

just trying to be helpful... 😁
    “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
    – Chinese Proverb
    MA 5b/6a

Comment

I finally pruned the trees in the garage and tucked them in proper for the winter. I was told by someone.... [COUGH LOUDLY] my wife. that there isn't enough room in the fridge for all my cuttings....

Anyhow, the temp in the fig shroud in the garage is 5C so I left them in there......
      Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• grasshopper
        grasshopper commented
        Editing a comment
        She is trying to tell you it is time to get a NEW and BIGGER fridge.

(COUGH COUGH...COUGH)
      would you have some cuttings for me

Comment

• angelad
        angelad commented
        Editing a comment
        Once I take cuttings from some of the larger fig plants I can let you know. After all, I will never forget how generous you were with sending me lots of cuttings for free when I first started.

However, I'm guessing you probably have nearly all the varieties that I have. But if you don't, I'm more than happy to send you the cuttings.

• luzzu
        luzzu commented
        Editing a comment
        TY for the offer maybe down the road when your trees grow

Angela you can find used bar fridge on kijiji for about 50 dollars put in garage works well

Comment

luzzu

Si! Remind me tomorrow and I'll send you a list of what I have. I got them all in Ziploc bags and labelled but too tired to make a list once I finished playing fig-tree Tetris in my garage today.....Too bad.... I was in Brampton most of the day on Friday.

angelad - The bar fridge in the garage is a great idea... careful though... a winter like last year and the compressor won't kick in, but a month of deep freeze and it'll get bloody cold. Go to Canadian Tire and get a wireless thermometer for $15 and keep tabs on the temp in the fridge from in the house. I have one buried in my garage fig-shroud.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...2471p.html#srp

Comment

• TorontoJoe
          TorontoJoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Another thing to be careful of... You can't use two of the same wireless thermometer if they're on the same wireless frequency or they'll interrupt one another....make sure they're on different frequencies.

• angelad
          angelad commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Joe. By the way I haven't forgotten what I promised to do. Sadly, I tend to procrastinate.

• TorontoJoe
          TorontoJoe commented
          Editing a comment
          LoL! I did.... Sadly, I tend to forget! I have the memory of a fungus gnat

Bump!

I bet a number of us are in the position where they now have to store lots of cuttings until we want to use them, which isn't until spring. The crisper drawers are full, or we've been told they are needed for actually storing fruits and vegetables. So, I bought a 2.7 cubic foot fridge expressly for cuttings, which will stay in the garage. The problem with these mini-fridges is they vary a lot (5 degrees or so in my case) from top to bottom.

So, given there is going to be about a 5 degree (F) range of temperatures in it, what do you think is the ideal range? Obviously, I don't want them to freeze. How close to freezing is too close for precious cuttings? How warm is too warm, e.g., is 45 F too warm?

Thoughts?
        Mark -- living in the CA banana belt, growing bananas, figs, and most any fruit I can fit in my tiny yard.
        Wish List: Rubado, Saint Martin

Comment

I'm officially looking for a new fridge for the basement... I want one of those "all fridge" no freezer units... sort of hard to find at the scratch and dent or refurbished..... I really don't want to pay retail. I'd love to find a deal on something like this

https://www.danby.com/products/apart...s/dar170a2wdd/

Comment

Has anyone tried to bury fig cuttings to overwinter? I will give it a try as I have many extra cuttings. I figure folks bury trees to protect them why not cuttings?

UNK Green Greek, Chicago Hardy, Brown Turkey go in the ground tomorrow, question is how deep in Zone 7B (Maryland).
            Millersville Maryland
            zone 7b

Comment

• TorontoJoe
              TorontoJoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Like, just in the ground or packaged somehow?

If you do this and have the option.... Maybe bury a wireless thermometer in there with them? Interesting idea..... No different than a root cellar in many ways.... Maybe.... I mean I don't know... never known anyone to do this....

I plan to bag them so they are easy to pull up, maybe try a couple of depths. I did this many years ago with hardwood cuttings of forsythia and other flowering shrubs. Callused beautifully. Maybe a horticulturist can offer knowledge?
            Millersville Maryland
            zone 7b

Comment

• TorontoJoe
              TorontoJoe commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm most interested in hearing your results with this. If the temps are moderated right.... in theory, one could bury a pelican case full of cuttings....
          Working...
          X