X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calabria White unk sick?

Is this Calabria white unk sick?

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.
    NW NJ
    Wishlist: Florea, Sicilian red, Lebanese Red

Hey Elm. I wouldn't call it sick. Maybe missing a nutrient or the fact that it's getting late in the season with less sunlight and cooler night temps is telling the trees to start shutting down for the coming winter. It looks like a very nice tree. Good luck with it.

Comment

I am happy that it's not infected. Thank you ChrisK
      NW NJ

Comment

Elmhurst1978,

The leaf and fig mosaic (FMD) may be caused directly by Nutrient deficiencies, but the root cause may be FMV.
        Its been my observation that increasing the "readily available and easily absorbed nutrients" will often eliminate or reduce the visible mosaic symptoms.

IMO, maintaining a fertilization schedule http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...?p=944#post944 with attention to Macro, Micro Nutrient, Calcium, Magnesium and pH will result in healthier productive trees. Although its too late in the season for "healthier" growth, providing micro nutrients (minerals) and added calcium can provide nutrients that will aid the tree through the dormant period and for bud break next year.

As an example for potted plants Espoma recommends 2 cups of fertilizer / 1 cu ft potting mix at the beginning of the season with 1/3 to 1/2 cup each month for the growing season. My schedule supplements the Espoma (Garden-tone, Plant-tone or Tomato-tone) with a dilute water soluble fertilizer (fertigation) before bud break and for the first 1/2 of the growing season, since its more readily absorbed by the roots.

Good Luck.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Elmhurst, the mosaic spots you see on the figs are only caused by one thing: fig mosaic virus. Since the deformed leaves and mosaic spots on the fruit concern you I assume that your other trees do not have such severe symptoms and are treated in roughly the same way.

It is true that giving the tree everything it needs to grow usually reduces FMV symptoms, although most of the time only temporarily till the next bud break or stressful event (lack of water/nutrients/proper drainage/sunlight etc.) You can plant this tree in the ground and it will probably find everything it needs and grow better than in a container. It may send out vigorous growths from the base that surpass the old trunk in health and productivity, and also fruit quality. I prune and discard infected growths whenever I can choose a healthier growth instead, since buds that grow from diseased branches are also usually diseased and cuttings from them are usually stunted from the high amount of FMV in what will become the base of the new plant.

FMV is only proven to be passed from one plant to another naturally by the fig bud mite. Fig bud mites can transmit FMV particles from one plant to another because they are small enough to feed on individual plant cells and inject virus particles, they are basically microscopic and look more like grubs than spiders under a microscope.

The normally shaped leaves with pale spots you show do look like fig mite spots, and it looks like these symptoms have advanced and that is also a sign of fig bud mites... The fig bud mite population peaks in summer because they reproduce faster in warm weather. They can also cause new leaves to drop when there are very many of them, I see it happened to the tip bud that is not growing shown in the last pic, there is a space where the leaf dropped. So you know the plant has FMV (mosaic spots on fruit) and most likely has fig bud mites, so there is a good chance they will spread it to other trees because they spread very easily on your hands, pets, birds, the wind, and probably many other things also. So you do have a problem, and until you deal with it is will get worse. If you would like to confirm what I suspect with your own eyes you will need strong magnification and very good lighting, hydro shops sell 40x lighted handheld microscopes for about $20. 20x magnification is the minimum.
          Fig bud mite:
          Moraceae Ficus carica L. Fig Mosaic virus disease caused by Eriophyes ficus Cotte (pi. 74) No proof was provided until 1955 that Eriophyesficus was the vector of a virus causing fig mosaic. This mite proved to be an efficient vector. In addition to transmitting this virus, it causes leaf distortion, chlorosis, russeting, and scarring of the eye scales and seeds of the fruit. It occasionally causes stunting of twigs and premature leaf drop. Eriophyesficus is a yellowish, slender, spindle-shaped mite; the female measures 160-202 microns long and the male about 140 microns. The featherclaws are five-rayed; the dorsal shield is marked with longitudinal ridges, the lateral ones forming closed cells anterior to the setal bases; the hysterosoma is covered with elliptical microtubercles; and the coverflap of the female genitalia has eight ribs. All stages and both sexes of the mites are found on the leaves, in the buds and fruit, and occasionally on the stems throughout the year. Eggs are laid in the buds, on branches, and on both surfaces of the leaves following bud burst in the spring. During July many mites move off the leaves to enter the fruit, where they lay eggs among the eye scales, and all stages are found inside the fruit. The mites overwinter in the buds. Fig mosaic virus has been reported from fig. The vector, E. ficus, is widespread on this plant in California; it also occurs in Oregon, Italy, and India. It is likely that both virus and mite will be found in most areas where figs are grown
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-09-20 20:26:06.png
Views:	46
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	40598
          The fig leaf mite is also an eriophyid species and could possible transmit FMV or other less serious viruses as well, they are not reported to cause noticeable symptoms without the fig bud mite present though.

Phytophagous mites, especially the eriophyoid bud and leaf mites, are injurious in fig orchards in Egypt. The infestations of these pests have increased to significant rates in the last few years. The most familiar symptoms caused by these mites are rusting or surface browning, bud blasting, impedance of new growth, bud distortion and leaf chlorosis. Severe infestation may result in defoliation of branches or whole trees
          Three Injurious mites were commonly found on the fig trees: the eriophyid fig bud mite A.ficus, the diptilomiopid fig leaf mite R. ficifoliae, and the two-spotted spider mite T urticae. A. ficus was the most prominent in buds and on leaves, while R. ficifoliae and T urticae came second and third in the order of abundance on leaves. The shady leaves harbour an almost equal population of eriophyoid mites as the sunny ones, but the reverse was observed for the two spotted-spider mite. The highest A. ficus population in buds occurred in late June, with 322 and 330 individuals per bud in two successive seasons (1989-1991 ), when temperature Phytophagous mites 1989-1990 season and relative humidity averaged 26.0° C, 59.7° C and 27.3, 51.9, respectively. In late July, the population suddenly decreased to 2.4 and 27.6 individuals per bud throughout the same seasons. The numbers of this mite varied greatly during fall and winter seasons. On leaves, the population density increased rapidly and peaked in late June and July during the two years, being 69 and 60 individuals per square inch of leaf when temperature and relative humidity averaged 26°C, 59.7°C and 27.6, 57, respectively. In early September and October, the population reached its minimum being 1.1 and 6.2 individuals per square inch of leaf during the two successive s·easons. The population was positively correlated with prevailing temperature for two successive seasons, while no significant correlation was noted with the relative humidity (Table 1). The data obtained are in agreement with those reported by EL-BANHAWY (1973). During winter, all stages of the fig bud mite were present in and around buds. As soon as the new fig leaves appeared, usually in May, the mites were numerous and occurred in large numbers at the bases of new flower bud and among bud scales. The mites moved to the stems, young leaves and under apical fruit scales, and began laying eggs among lower leaf surface hairs in early June. T
          http://www1.montpellier.inra.fr/CBGP...pdf.php?id=139

These are some fig bud mite symptoms I saw last year.

And an abrupt end to the pale patches and spots after treating with miticides.

Of course many leaves also became severely distorted from FMV like your plant did, a few during or after the infestation and some not until the next spring. These plants were previously FMV free.

Best of luck, and sorry I have loaded so much information onto you all at once, I tried to provide an overview of what is a very complicated problem as best I could. If you have any questions please ask either publicly or privately.

Comment

Thank you Pete & Brent for your help.
            NW NJ

Comment

excellent information i learned a bunch.

Comment

Working...
              X