X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bitter End

Between the birds, chipmunks, SWD and cooler temps I am getting close to
    the end of my fig season. If it were not for the first three I would still have
    a pretty good crop each day. I discard a plate of figs daily that have been
    half eaten by something or the SWD have turned them into mush.

For general info, if you dont have have the critters, my Col de Dame Grise,
    Lyndhurst White, LSU Scotts Black, Nero600m, Ginos Black and Rose Marys
    New York Ave are still heave producers in my area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5143.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	40630
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

I'm sure the birds and chipmunks are a giant pain, but seem a little easier to control than the SWD. So far I am counting my stars that no wildlife has found my rip figs, even ones that were so ripe they fell off the trees. I'm sure my day will come and thankfully I have wealth of knowledge here help combat the critters.

The figs on the plate look great, to bad you don't have a bucket full Mike!
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Same here Mike! Luckily, every fig tree placed in front of my garage has not been touched by a bird or squirrel this year. It might be b/c I have a fake hawk sitting over them. Anyway, Tacoma Violet, Smith, Gino's Black, Don Fortis, Antonio Black, Maccol, Dark Portuguese, King Authur, Brown Greek and Guilbeau French are still putting out ripe figs. But I'm letting the birds have their way. I'm in the process of repotting some trees at the moment and don't have the time to chase after critters. Today, it's very cloudy and rain is in the forcast for today and the rest of this week. I think I'm gonna call this season DONE!
      Dennis
      Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Wow. We're still in the 80s and while production has decreased I'm no where near done. Of course most of mine are in pots and are protected by organza bags and welded wire as figs get close to ripening. My in-ground tree still has certain sections of branches protected by welded wire (and organza bags). I'm not too proud to eat the wasps' and birds' leftovers if I miss bagging one.

I've come to realize that the banana flavor from some of my "found too late" figs is ant excrement so I don't take a second bite of those areas of the fig that may have been visited by the ants.
        Bob C.
        Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Has anybody ever pickled non-ripe figs? I see some recipes out there
          Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Working...
          X