X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With age comes flavor!

I planted an unknown Calabrian fig tree about 5 or 6 years ago. The tree died to the ground every year but would grow about 6 feet tall and still ripened a good amount of figs. The problem was they were very bland to the point that nobody would eat them. The only reason I didn't dig it up was because it has too big of a root system and I didn't feel like tackling that job.
    Well I'm glad I didn't dig it up and get rid of it because this year the figs are surprisingly good. I've been eating them fresh and cooked some stuffed with cheese and even dipped a few in chocolate. I'm hoping this isn't a freak occurrence and they don't revert back to the insipid figs they were. Looks like for now the tree got a pardon from being dug up and thrown over the hill.
    The figs are not as yellow as they look in the picture.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
    Tony
    Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Maybe weather, Tony?
    I think we have had warmer and much drier weather since about the 3rd week of July than usual. More sun than usual can't hurt!
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Ed, You could right, but I hope not. I really do hope that it keeps the improved taste from now on. If you want to experiment with it you can get a start and plant it on top of the hill near your peach trees.
      Tony
      Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

I'm glad this year it proved to be keeper. Other than weather, any other changes?
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Scott other than age there hasn't been in change in care. Once a year I put horse manure around the tree but other than that, that's the only thing I do to my in ground trees.
          Tony
          Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Interesting!

Makes me wonder how it would perform in other parts of the country both in ground and in pots.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

If anyone wants cuttings I would gladly send them out for postage when it goes dormant.
              Tony
              Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

I have a feeling some members will take you up on the offer!

Comment

Tony, I am assuming this is Aaron's grandfather-in-law's fig he calls after his name 'Rocco Calabatta'? I tried to start cuttings 2y ago from Aaron which failed,, maybe I should try again now that I have a little more experience.
                  Ed
                  SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Ed, no it's not from Aaron. This tree came from somebody who just bought the house and was removing the tree because he was allergic to figs. He told me the previous owner brought the tree here from Calabria and planted it when he built the house in the 1950's.
                    Tony
                    Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

I think I'd like to give it a try, the summers here are short but they are hot and dry. Tony please hit me up when trimming time comes, I really don't see anything to loose trying.

Comment

Well then I must be delicious! Add me to the list for cuttings, please!
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Bob, your not real far from, 8 hours. You have the humidity that I don't it will be interesting to compare.

Comment

Ok when it goes dormant I'll let you know. With some luck it will be good from the get go.
                            Tony
                            Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Working...
                            X