X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three large white figs that look similar on the outside.

These three on average are the same size and look very similar on the outside. The one on the left is Atreano bc, the one in the middle is Troiano Calabrese, and the one on the right is my Unk Mittica which I haven't figured out what it is. The Unk Mittica always wins on taste and ripens the earliest and never ever splits. I had Lyndhurst White and its figs were very similar to these. That's why I got rid of it.
    Normally the shape of these figs are very similar. The Atreano bc is a bit smaller than usual.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

I had a Lyndhurst White today that looked like the one in the middle. Very ripe but with too much water in it. Half sweet, have sour. Not tart but sour. Very typical with this fig. Maybe best suited for a drier environment. Many cultivars are not this finicky.

Also had a Trojano today that looked somewhat similar but much smoother shape much thicker skin. It was very sweet and wonderful even for being in an apparent early stage of ripeness. Doesn't seem finicky.

The differences in the many figs are fascinating; however, some are definitely trickier or earlier than others to work with.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• kubota1
      kubota1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I found Lyndhurst was good for drying. I got ripe figs from it in the heat of the summer last year. Lots of them and they were very watery. I'm not a big fan of watery figs.

Do the leaves have distinctive differences, Art?

Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• kubota1
      kubota1 commented
      Editing a comment
      They are pretty similar. The Mittica has some leaves that get long fingers.

• kubota1
      kubota1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought that Lyndhurst White and Troiano Calabrese were the same. Herman says that Atreano is the same as Troiano Calabrese.

Unk Mittica sounds like a good tree. Do you grow it in ground or container?
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• kubota1
      kubota1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine is in a container. I've posted on f4f about it last year.

• don_sanders
      don_sanders commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, I see it now. Looks like quite a heavy producer for you even if it didn't taste as good as some like jh adriatic.

Looks like you have a nice setup getting figs all the way to Thanksgiving.

Art my Mittica is no where as dark red in the center as yours is. It's closer to Atreano's center. I tried letting them hang as long as possible and they still don't darken up like yours but either way they're still a keeper.
    Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
    Tony
    Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

• kubota1
      kubota1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder why. I know that the longer I leave them the darker they get. Also my containers have been pretty dry. I've cut back my watering big time.

Troiano Calabrese how does the productivity and flavor differ from the other two? thank you
    Please subscribe to my youtube channel all about figs https://www.youtube.com/c/kimtien
    If you are a local in WA please check out my figbid thank you!
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Brows...seattlefiggirl

Comment

Working...
    X