X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Latte question.

Has anybody outside of California got a ripe fig from Raspberry Latte? My tree is huge. I only had two squatty figs on it this year and they fell off. I'm going to dump a few figs that need the wasp. Wondering if I should get rid of this one.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

I did, I only had a 4 this season, I rooted this tree last season and the the tree is about 6' by 8', even though I only had 4 figs this season it put on a lot of growth and is loaded with figs that won't ripen this season but I expect it to do well next season. This tree has been one of the fastest growing for me.
    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Art, my RL is a second year bush in a SIP, it was a late rooting slow growing runt last year, this year I think it is trying to just grow and catch up. It did put on just a single fig in mid-July. I hope to nurse it along to maturity to see if it is any good. Maybe I should bring it to your greenhouse next month to let it mature Someone outside of CA posted in the last year on F4F (I think) that they had gotten figs. But there is not much on it, that is for sure.
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

I could use that as a good excuse to get another greenhouse. My friends need to store their trees here. I don't think my wife would fall for it.
        Art
        Western Pa -6a

Comment

Does Raspberry Latte need the wasp?

Comment

• fig Lebowski
            fig Lebowski commented
            Editing a comment
            No it’s common

My RL has been dropping figs as well, it’s really finicky.
          (\ /)
          ​​​​​​(°¥°)
          [email protected]( _ _ )..........DIEGO.....

Comment

I’ll pay postage for a few cuttings if you’re going to give it the axe.
            Oregon. No YouTube Channel, no hype, no BS. Trying to be humble.
            WL: paillettes à licorne. More land. The best early stuff possible

Comment

It is funny that I was just outside looking at my RL and then saw this thread when I came back in. It is producing big time and I have 3 ripening now. I had about 47 figs on it but the rains have been nonstop for 20 days out here and lost many to major splitting. Still was able to ripen about 12-15 before the rains and now waiting on the rest over time. This is a great tasting fig on par with my CdDN. Smallest fig was 60 grams so am impressed with it's size and good yields bordering on great!
              Attached Files

Comment

Just up-potted a RL that was a slow but steady grower in it's second leaf, all Spade leaves, finally pushing out some decent growth but no signs of figs. This has happened to other cultivars and figure I would give it another year and see what happens before it's full. Good luck with yours I'll report back on this post if anyone wants.
                Robert - HZ7A

Comment

• Mangoman
                  Mangoman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CarbonFX Mine is all spades and started a thread awhile back on it. Absolutely great variety and no double figs on mine.

I also have a RL 2nd season not a sign of a fig

Comment

It took a couple years, but it has produced well the last three years.
                  Art
                  Western Pa -6a

Comment

• Sod
                    Sod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My bad. Just saw the op was from 2015

Mine was eventually discarded. It always had some mis-shapen or deformed figs, often with gaping wide open eye, and some split in rain, and it seemed like I never got many to eat. The perfectly ripe ones were good over the three years it fruited for me.
                  Ed
                  SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• CliffH
                    CliffH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had a fair number of deformed figs the first year or so too. For me it might have been the fact that the tree had FMV very badly (worst that I ever had). I has finally out-grown the symptoms of that too this year.

I had two brebas this season, and the tree is loaded, I hope some will ripen.

Comment

Mine also have been slow to produce. The first couple of years, in a container, I had a lot dropped figs. I've had it in the ground now for about 1 1/2 years. It only put on about 6 or 7 figs this year, but a ton of growth. I am hoping that next year will be a year for figs. I do not plan to fertilize it for growth next spring.

It is a delicious and unique tasting fig. Everyone who has tasted one off my tree has wanted a cuttings or air layer.

I wanted to add that in our long growing season, when my young RL dropped most of its figs early on, it would put on another set of main crop figs during the same summer. These would ripen late, but they did ripen.
                    Last edited by CliffH; 08-19-2019, 07:44 AM.
                    Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
                    Wish List: Rubado, Thermolito, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

Just wanted to know if anyone has updates on thieir tree. On a second year tree in a pot the growth had been substantial but no fig formation. Of all the treess I have grown so far from cuttings this is the only one not to show at least one fig. From what I have heard though I'm really looking forward to see what this cultivar is made of. Thanks all.
                      post some fruit and leaf pics when you can!
                      Robert - HZ7A

Comment

My tree is from a cutting rooted last December
                        Hopefully they ripen soon
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Wish List: CdD Mutante, Partaj Rimada,

Comment

Originally posted by Surge90241 View Post
                          My tree is from a cutting rooted last December
                          Hopefully they ripen soon
                          Are those rice hulls covering the pot? If so what is the purpose? Thanks!
                          Zone 7a Westchester County, NY
                          Wish List:Boysenberry Blush, De La Roca. Vincenzo, The One, Calderona de miner, Verdolino, Blanche De Deu’s Saisons

Comment

• Surge90241
                            Surge90241 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, I use it as mulch. Keeps the soil moist

• 2AngelsMushrooms
                            2AngelsMushrooms commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It's a great mulch. I use it too, as do many. I work at a large garden center. We trialed it for a year and then switched over to it.

• DrDraconian
                            DrDraconian commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I tried it as a mulch in some of my smaller pots (1 to 3 gal), but ended up giving up on it and going to 100% fir/pine bark, which I also use in my larger pots. For me, the rice hulls moved around too much every time I watered, and it was hard to keep an even layer. I tend to use relatively thin layers in my small pots, though, so maybe if you commit to a thickness of more than an inch it works better. I like how the bark can diffuse the water as it is being applied for more even coverage of the surface, while the rice hulls float away.

Renegade Rose No it does not. I live in zone 7 and my tree gives a plethora of fruit and we do not have the wasp here. I started picking fruit about 2 to 3 weeks ago and I'm still picking fruit.
                          Check out my Fig Channel on YouTube and
                          FigBid for the latest Sales!
                          Mike - Zone 7, CT

Comment

I heard raspberry latte was a vigorous grower and good as a root stock for grafting. Any comments on that?
                            Najam from Sugar Land, Texas, Zone 9a

Comment

• halfitalianfig
                              halfitalianfig commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My RL grew 6 feet it's first year. I'll definitely be using it for rootstock.

• Stela G
                              Stela G commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I have heard this also, of course its one of the ones that I happened to kill last year. I will have to find some more cuttings this year and try again.

Would someone please Grace this post with some pictures of trees and fruit!
                            Robert - HZ7A

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonFX View Post

Would someone please Grace this post with some pictures of trees and fruit!

This is a R/L on its third leaf:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fQbWdO.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	613138

My tree bares both spade and fingered leaves, each on separate branches... (all spade or all fingered on each branch)

Name:	ncdrsv.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	613139

Name:	yXhsPd.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	613140

The tree throws doubled fruit from one of the two types of branches... (I don't remember off the top of my head whether it was the spade or fingered branches that were all doubled up)

Name:	7a40Ir.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	613141

Name:	biOo8n.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	613142
                              CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Comment

I received cuttings in late 2017 and rooted them in 2018. Planted in ground this last Spring. It has been my most vigorous grower.
                                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

• Bodulfr
                                  Bodulfr commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thank you. I appreciate the suggestion, and I will do just that.

• FMD
                                  FMD commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Looks really good but not like mine that I received from Encanto Farms, see pictures below.

• Bodulfr
                                  Bodulfr commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  You are right, it does look quite different. I received mine from Dan in Michigan. No wasp here in Arkansas either, outside of the angry ones, possibly environmental differences? You are also right in not wasting for rootstock. It has been the best fig I have tasted in my young fig career.

I've had 2 figs but the tree is small and not very productive and some what a slow grower. The fig however tastes Devine and for that reason and that it's small, I will keep it and see how it does in the future.

https://www.figdatabase.com/variety-...aspberry-latte

Comment

Obviously no wasp in Tallahassee...Can confirm that it is a beast of a grower, but would not waste this variety on roots-tock as figs are too good.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Frank Tallahasee 8B
                                  North Florida Figs

Comment

My Raspberry Latte's are starting to coming in:

Check out my Fig Channel on YouTube and
                                    FigBid for the latest Sales!
                                    Mike - Zone 7, CT

Comment

Working...
                                    X