X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lists of Shame

Hi Fig Fans
    I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm usually too busy to do much on forums but I want to make a point.

I'm pretty irritated by these preferred eBay sellers and preferred nurseries lists on this and the other fig forum.

I have a large fig collection and now have no fewer than 9 plants most grown from cuttings that were bought on eBay or received indirectly from close friends who purchased them from eBay or from nurseries all from people or businesses on these lists.
    After a year or two of growth and comparing leaves and figs to what others have these 9 trees are not the variety that they were supposed to be.

Doesn't anyone proof their fig trees before they start selling them?

Is everyone on these lists out to make a quick buck. Seems like it.

An extraordinary amount of time has been wasted caring for these plants and they will all likely go into the compost pile.

For shame.

Tony

Hello Tony,

Welcome to Our Figs forum community...

I agree that its irritating to waste time cultivating inferior varieties, but everyone makes mistakes whether they are Nurseries, eBay sellers or backyard growers. The Known Ebay Venders List posted at OurFigs, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...s-vendors-list includes active Fig Forum members that have posted their own photos of leaves and figs of cultivars that they're growing, have offered for sale and have been recommended by other active members.

Is it possible for you to post a few photos of leaves and figs of the cultivars in question?
    There are many generous forum members that may help redress your grievance.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I know how you feel. My Colasanti "White" fig is just now starting to ripen a nice dark fig, hah. I'm just getting started so I'm happy to get the figs no matter the variety but now I have no idea what it is. Hopefully, it's a good one.

I certainly wouldn't put them in the compost pile. I think a lot of people would be willing to adopt the unknows if you don't want them.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

The juvenile offspring may show characteristics that differ from a mature parent tree. This is good for both sellers and buyers to remember. Give them a few more years.
        Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
        N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

I bought some pan e vino dark cuttings from eBay last winter and they turned out to be green figs. I wish I could remember the seller.
          Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

TLenzo, it might save others the same anguish if you posted the list here. Name names.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

quackmaster, ebay saves all your purchases I was just looking the other day to so who i bought a fig from last year. It is all saved on there.
              cian

Comment

Working...
              X