X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two "known" ," Unknowns" 2015!

Well, my friends, the 2015 fig season has come and is on its way out. Most fig trees have given us their fruit and others are hopelessly popping fig embrios that will never get to ripen(unless a Greenhouse is handy)! One of my last picks was last night after work and consisted of two varieties . A Brunswick looking fig that was purchased from The Home Depot this past spring as a Texas Everbearing ,and the other is a very nice white fig ,gifted by one of my awesome GA fig buddies( thanks Phil)! It's an unknown white most possibly a White Marseilles.
    The dark fig ,is a bit different than my other Brunswick trees. The leaves have slightly longer and thinner fingers ,the fruit is more round and with a long stem, and it does not spoil with rain even though it has a large eye. I can't tell much about flavor since it's a young plant. The main trunk died back last winter and all figs where produced on new growth from the soil line( fourteen figs). They did have a good sweet and figgy taste with no seed crunch and Mellon like flavor.
    The white fig was very tasty with lots of seeds and a flavor Uknown to me but more than welcome. Lots of potential there. I was very surprised by the white flesh . It seemed fully ripe since it fell off with the slightest touch! Here are a couple of pics. Enjoy and feel free to ID if you have an idea!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

They look good Chris, Yes that Unknown has very light interior. It was the 1st light fig I tasted fresh. The folks I got it from says it's been grown by their family in GA since probably the 1800s. I always look forward to it.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Awesome fig. It's an honor to have it, thanks again Phil.

Comment

Hi
        the white fig looks like my Italian honey,very sweet and cold hardy.
        in ground for over 25 years with winter protection.

Comment

Thanks Luzzu. Here are a couple of leaf pics. Let me know if they match.

Comment

Very possible. ITALIAN HONEY, LATTARULA, WHITE MARSEILLES have all been linked as likely the same, a few other names as well. I just keep the unknown tag as It came without name, but it's a fig thats been around a long time
            Last edited by strudeldog; 09-27-2015, 09:06 AM.
            Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

The white figs and leaves are similar to White Marseilles (Italian Honey, Etc.), http://www.monticello.org/site/house...marseilles-fig .
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Chrisk
                Chrisk commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Pete. They look great and they do look like mine.

Hey Phil. There was another fig almost ripe as of yesterday morning so I was planning to pick last night after work ... When I got home.. Nooo fig and no one takes responsibility for the taking lol. I keep the pot on my porch by the front door so no pred comes this close to the house. Upon a second round of questioning I think I found the quilty party and Scarlett is her name but it's ok, she's my babygirl and she keeps us all safe so np. Now I have to pray for some more warm weather and a chance for the rest of them to ripen although they seem to be a couple of weeks away at least.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

pics
                my first time loading photos hope the're ok

Comment

• Chrisk
                  Chrisk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yeah, just like Phil and Pete said, looks like a perfect match. Thanks for the pics, they look great. I like the euro too. That's a beauty of a fig tree!
              Working...
              X