X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT update

The good news: One year old cutting produces figs. It is obviously a common fig.It is an excellent tasting fig.
    The bad news: I had to pick it a week early due to tiny flies landing on it worrying it would go sour. Tallahassee is not Switzerland. To bad the tiny flies were not fig wasps.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Did some of those flys have spots on the wings or reddish heads? You might have SWD spotted wing drosophila
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• FMD
      FMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah, they are more like fruit flies.

spotted wing drosophila ARE fruit flies just a different type

Comment

• FMD
      FMD commented
      Editing a comment
      I will have a closer look but no obvious reddish heads observed.
      BTW, almost time to send you cutting(s), Phil.

I think a lot more folks have issues with SWD and just don't realize it, some are just becoming more aware as more posting on the issue.
    No hurry on the cuttings I will not start cuttings until spring likely anyway. I am a known Kutting Ciller so I will likely fail them regardless, but on a good note I did get my 1st Col Littmans last week and posted it. A very nice fruit. Now I just need to get my seemingly healthy tree gain some vigor and grow.
    Last edited by strudeldog; 09-27-2015, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• FMD
      FMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I saw your post of the colonel. Very nice.
      I'll try and get an air layer of pr for you.

That's great news Frank, congratulations!
    Mine produces figlets way too late in the season so i took them off.
    Looking forward to the 2016 season!
    Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
    Zone 8B

Comment

Great, Frank. Now tell us, have you eaten it yet? How was it despite being early?
      My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

It seems i was right about the tree being planted way before global warming made it possible for the fig wasps to migrate that far up north.
        Judging from the size of the trunks i estimated the mother tree is at least a few decades old.
        So it was planted loooooong before the wasp was around.
        But knowing what they taste like caprified i will still try to get a wasp population going in the greenhouse.
        Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
        Zone 8B

Comment

Photos of the inside or it never happened
          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

It was pretty good considering it was not fully ripe and that it was the very first fig from a one year old cutting. The inside was red but not as iridescent as the ones from the mother tree. More to come...hopefully.
            Frank Tallahasee 8B
            North Florida Figs

Comment

Frank,
              Thanks for an update! I will look forward for more photos too! Congrats.
              USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

strudeldog, it is comforting to know that someone else is championing for the cutting killer title. I am about to give up. They do fine put out roots, leaf and head to fig valhala.....direct corelation higher the cost worst they do. trying all different methods. Il keep plugging away. wishing and hoping lil fig

Comment

Frank why didn't you wrap an organza bag around this fig? Even if you have too many figs to worry about, one this special deserved a barrier to all the dreaded bugs....
                  Rafael
                  Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• FMD
                    FMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't know, Rafael. I guess my ennui towards figs is getting to me.

What's PT?
                  Dennis
                  Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Working...
                X