X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prune/train this plant

See picture below. I am trying to figure out the best way to prune or train this one. The left "trunk" is the main one and has started branching at the top. The right side is a shoot that took off once it was reported. Should I bend out the left branch to make this a v shaped tree? If so, just tie it down to around the container as the anchor or use the stake I just put in? Should I just wait till next year and air layer it off? Pinch the top of the shoot to get it to branch? This is an air layer from a very generous member, which was planted maybe 2 months ago.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Queens, NY. Zone 7B. Restarting my collection.

Personally, I think the only thing I would have done is put the pot in the tree sideways to make it straight. However, how it is fine as well, there is a good chance a new branch will grow from the left and give the tree the symmetry you seem to be looking for.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear above. The left branch was the only stem and was planted vertical. The right side grew after it was potted and pulled the left side over a little.
      Queens, NY. Zone 7B. Restarting my collection.

Comment

Apologies,

I still would just let it be.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Figinqueens,

Before any pruning or training can commence you have to decide the final pruned shape and maximum height.

Tree form... the main trunk can be trained vertical and in spring before bud break it can be topped at the desired maximum height (main trunk at 12" to 36") the side branch can be removed or pruned back to 2 nodes from the main trunk. Several new buds off the main trunk will be trained as the new branches and one of the new buds on the side branch can be trained as a new branch, if its retained.

Bush form...the main trunk can be trained vertical and in spring before bud break it can be topped at the desired maximum height (6" to 12") the side branch can be pruned back to 2 nodes from the main trunk. Several new buds off the main trunk will be trained as the new branches and one of the new buds on the side branch can be trained as a new branch.

The main trunk and branches are pruned to remove the auxins and apical dominance. There should also be several nodes on the planned main trunk for the future buds and branches. Next seasons branches will be the "fruiting branches" and the following season they will be the "scaffold branches" that will support several several fruiting branches, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-espalier-form . Good luck.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Working...
          X