X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Flat Black Madeira

My very first Flat Black Madeira fig started to darken a couple days ago. I wanted to see what all the buzz talk was all about for myself. Well... we got so much rain the fig swelled up like a balloon and split before it fully ripened. According to the news, Russelton, about 20 minutes away got 4 inches of rain and another inch was to be expected over night. I think my best bet is to cover it to see if it will be salvageable, don't want it to be infested with gnat larvae. I'm hoping that I will get a few more to ripen before frost sets in.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
    Tony
    Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Good luck!
    Bob C.
    Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

That is so sad Tony, it looked good 3d ago! I had several figs split badly but I don't think we had over an inch of rain here
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Tonycm
        Tonycm commented
        Editing a comment
        I had high hopes for that fig but with all that rain it just couldn't handle it. Maybe the next one will be good.

Hii.Greetings, I got this variety from mallorca island, the tagname was madeira black flat, is anyone knows this variety??, I think it is very similar to black madeira except fruit tend to be larger, and seems to be more tolerant with rain
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      ID, south east Asian region

Comment

We've had very hot weather the past month or so, with most days in the high 80Fs, and more expected through this week end. The past few days I've had the good fortune to taste 3 or 4 fully ripe Black Madeiras. What they say is true. Unlike some others, it's reputation is deserved. It is an exceptionally good tasting fig. It's moved much higher up on my favorites list.
        SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Gina I would love to see how your Black Madeiras ripened in hot weather look! Mine get less concentrated in this cooler weather.

Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
          Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

With some nursing and shuffling I got my second BM fig to ripen. Even with the cool weather it was still an excellent tasting fig. I can only imagine what it would be like if it ripened in perfect weather. The only negative thing I can say is the skin was a little tough but that is minimal. I would give it a 9 out of 10. There's 4 more that are almost ripe but with temps getting cooler they may not be as good.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
            Tony
            Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

• HarveyC
              HarveyC commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats, Tony!

Thanks Harvey.
            I was surprised that I even got it to ripen considering it's a late fig plus the weather was on the cool side. The flavor is hard to explain but to me it ranks high up on the taste scale.
            Tony
            Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Working...
            X