X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Pawpaw seeds for shipping

This is my first year growing figs and I don't really have much to contribute. So I was wondering if anyone was interested in wild Pawpaw seeds (Asimina Triloba).

Although they are native to the US and seem to grow everywhere around here, not many people seem to know much about them or have tried them. They have a bit of a tropical look/feel and I think they are a really good fruit.

The seeds would need cold stratified in the fridge for 3-4 months. The small plants can't take full sun but the larger trees fruit best in full sun. It would probably take a seedling 7 or more years to fruit.

I've cleaned them and stored them in the fridge for now. I could probably put together packs of ~20 seeds to ship if there is interest. Maybe $1 to ship seeds wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed in a plastic bag inside a regular letter envelope or perhaps in a small box for $6-7 if you prefer. PM me if you would like some.

Info from http://www.blossomnursery.com/pawpaw_HABITAT.html:
    Habitat
    The Pawpaw, Asimina triloba, is the largest edible wild fruit native to the USA, occurring naturally in moist, shady places in most of the eastern half of the USA, from the Gulf Coastal plain to the Great Lakes, and from lower New England, to the edge of the southwestern plains. They are seldom found near the Atlantic or Gulf coasts. The Pawpaw's preferred habitat is rich, moist bottomland, but will also grow on other sites that are well~drained and sunny or partly shaded. Within their native range, they can be found almost anywhere from river bottoms to hill tops. The soil should be slightly acid (pH 5.5~7), deep, fertile, and well~drained. Good drainage is essential to success. Pawpaws will not thrive in heavy soil or waterlogged soil. They will grow in USDA zones 5A through 9. (Please refer to theUSDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map.)
    Climate
    Pawpaw trees do well in humid continental climates, similar to their native range. They require warm to hot summers, with at least 160 frost~free days; mild to cold winters, with a minimum of 400 hours of winter chill. Although the trees will grow with less winter chill, they may not fruit. And a minimum of 32 inches (81 cm) of rainfall mainly in spring and summer.
    Pawpaw trees do not like low humidity, dry winds and cool maritime summers.
    They can withstand temperatures of -25° F (-32°C), while dormant.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado, Black Celeste

Nice offer, Don!
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

They have to stay moist or they will not germinate. What I do is clean them and put them in tall tree pots and set them out all winter and they should germinate next July or Aug. Do not let them dry out. They don't like their roots disturbed so it is best to put them in the pot you want to keep them in until they are planted.

Thanks Don
      Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
      Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Last year I put 25 seeds in moss in the refrigerator for about five months. Planted them in pots in April inside the greenhouse and they all grew.
        Art
        Western Pa -6a

Comment

Will they grow in a container in Arizona?

Comment

• kubota1
            kubota1 commented
            Editing a comment
            They need to be in the ground. They have a long tap root.

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            The also require some chilling hours to fruit.

• smatthew
            smatthew commented
            Editing a comment
            Depends on how deep the container is. The deeper, the better. I have seedlings in 7", 10", and 14" deepots and in all sizes they grew a taproot to the bottom before breaking the surface. Incidentally, the plants in the 14" pots are doing much better so far.

All of the seeds have been shipped out. They should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

If I missed you and you didn't get a response, let me know.

Good luck.
          Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado, Black Celeste

Comment

Working...
          X