X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Italian Black

This is a plant acquired late last year as a 2y old, grown in a 7g pot, and it did not grow well this year. It produced few figs, but they were very good, a rich sweet flavor. There is not a lot of info on this variety from Durio's Nursery. I intend to root prune it (in retrospect that should have been done before this season) and try to get it to produce more next year.

Fig:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IB 2.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	41953

Name:	IB 1.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	41954

Leaves:

Name:	italian black leaves.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	41955

Anyone else with experience with this one?

Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

I don't have this one but it looks great!
    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Nice looking fig. Maybe next year it will have a bumper crop!
      Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
      Tony
      Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Hi Ed.
        That's a nice looking fig. Enjoy.
        vito

Comment

I have this one. It's the first year I got figs from it. They were very good and looked like yours. My tree took a while to get going also.

Comment

That is one beautiful looking fig! Good luck with it next year....hope it gives you a bunch more.
            Quy
            SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

I've had one in the ground that hasn't produced a fig for 2 years.It has been killed to the ground each winter.I had a backup in a pot that hasn't produced a fig either.I planted it in the ground in Spring 2015 hoping that it might produce a fig...but it hasn't.

Your fruit looks tasty.Mine grow well and have pretty leaves ))))
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
              Barry
              NE GA ,Zone 7b Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017,6F in 2018,17F in 2019

Comment

I have 4 of them. One in my orchard, one in a 5g pot and 2 in whiskey barrels. It's not that hardy so I recommend keeping it in a pot. In my climate, it dies to the ground and comes back strong the next year. But before we were getting 5 degree temps in Charlotte, mine use to never die back.

You picked it at the right time. Nice job Ed.
                Dennis
                Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

• WillsC
                  WillsC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I didn't realize you got that cold.

This is good tasting fig but not cold-hardy at all. My 7 yrs old plant died to the ground last winter even with protection. This year it send out shots from the soil line but didn't put on any fruits. Air layers and cuttings of this variant roots very fast.

Navid.

Comment

The best place to grow figs in this state would be the southeastern part of the state near the coast. But they get a lot of hurricane storms, we don't. They are also starting to get more snow. But snow here only last for about a day or 2. Then it warms up in the 40s and 50s. Then the cold comes again!
                  Dennis
                  Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Any updates on this variety?

Comment

I eliminated mine last fall - after dealing with too many splitting figs due to wet September weather. I don't think I tasted more than a couple figs in 2016, none in 2017 or 18. I hope it does better with the new owner.
                      Ed
                      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• SalNick
                        SalNick commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Is there anything you can do to stop the splitting or is it an inherent quality of the type of fig. My unk green ischia looks great but started to split. My Etna smith and Malone ok but noticed bit water down taste in figs lately. Any tips or just sell the splitters ? Thx in Harrisburg

• eboone
                        eboone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        nothing I have done seems 100% effective
                        I have tried a plastic bag over the to reduce water, may help a little

I put one in ground here a week ago. Hopefully it does well, also from Durio’s. I’ll know more next season.
                      Zone 8b. West Central Louisiana

Comment

eboone Hey Ed I guess I’m a little bit late on this thread I was going to let you know that the figs from this Italian Black look great! And I was going to let you know to let me know next time when you have airlayer or cuttings available. Anyway thanks for sharing the info about this IB
                        Zone 8a. Virginia

Comment

This is another heirloom fig grown by the Becnel family of Belle Chasse, Louisiana for over 100 years. It has almost jet black fruit with deep red pulp,it grows very well in the south .......if you can get this tree to grow,it produces some of the best tasting black figs in the south.

Name:	I BK (3).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	540537
                          Brian
                          Chackbay LA Zone 9A

Comment

Looks yummy ! I am imagining that my Black Greek will taste and look like your beautiful fig.
                            Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

Working...
                            X