X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetically....

...and by hypothetically, I mean I just did it, what would be the consequences of digging up a non-dormant tree and causing some root damage? I had several figs in pots buried in ground. Given that we are projected over 7 freaking inches of rain Friday-Monday, and we've had 4-5 inches in the past couple weeks, I decided to dig them up, even though they weren't dormant yet. I figured the pots wouldn't drain that well (especially with roots clogging all the holes!) They had all grown into the ground (one of them quite significantly!) through the bottom of the pots. Please tell me this won't kill them...

Obviously, its not good for them, and they'll probably drop leaves and whatnot. I just need to know they most likely won't die...
    Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Brett
    I wouldn't worry about it at all. I'm sure you were very careful digging up the plants. That's really all that's necessary. You carefully get as much roots as you can and be gentle. I do this all the time and I will up pot anytime and have never lost one because of that. I think its more important to get the plant in the right place.

Comment

Perfect. That's what I wanted to hear. I still can't believe we're getting all this rain. We're not even getting the hurricane off the east coast...just moisture that its pulling up.
      Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

As Coop said, it should be fine. If the damaged roots are large, you may want to give it a good top prune this winter.
        I too am dreading all the rain projected for the weekend. It's going to be a mess since our ground is already saturated.
        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• DBJohnson
          DBJohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          Except for the one tiny heirloom tree in the ground, I've moved my trees (all potted) to the porch. They're still a bit waterlogged...but draining and getting closer to normal.
      Working...
      X