X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Che, Melon Berry, Chinese Mulberry, Cudrang What ever you call it

Not totally off topic as they are related to fig. They will never hold the level interest fig or some other fruit do for me. My tree is loaded this year and just starting to reach full ripeness. Prior to starting to soften they are very bland. They color up well before being ripe. When reaching drop form the tree ripe I find they very pleasant.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by strudeldog; 10-02-2015, 04:01 PM.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Very Cool! I've been interested in these for a long time. Had two and they both died. Do you have just the one tree or more than one? I hear a lot of folks have trouble getting them to fruit. I'll be grafting some Che onto Osage orange rootstocks this spring, so hopefully I'll get to taste them one day!

The mad scientist in me has dreamed of crossing an osage orange with a che. Apparently it has been done by universities, but the offspring favor osage orange a lot, meaning they are big and inedible.

Comment

I only have one plant in the area, I have another tree in a bad shaded location a long distance away and one at another property that is recovering from being a buck deer rub. but They are all same clone grafted to Osage Orange from a single stick of scion a few years ago so It's self fertile and seedless. Dropping fruit when young is commonly reported happened 1st year of fruit set for me dropped but last 2 years very little drop. This tree has lost all it's thorniness that it had when smaller. I had heard that could happen
      Last edited by strudeldog; 10-05-2015, 10:16 AM.
      Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Working...
      X