X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea to raise money for ourfigs and to make more cuttings available to everybody

Some of you have seen the related thread I started at f4f, if not, here's a link: http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....pid=1289452684

I'd like to help Wills/ourfigs in the same way, and to set up my FigCuttings.com site to allow buyers of those redistributed cuttings to choose from 3 options: 10% goes to the F4F Foundation, 10% goes to ourfigs, or 5% goes to each. I would set up separate 'Add to Cart' buttons for each option, so if someone were going to buy, say, LSU Purple cuttings, they would click the button that distributes the money how they want.

I edited the Alma listing at http://www.figcuttings.com to show what a 3-button setup would look like. For the new listings, the titles of the 3 buttons (where the word "Quantity" currently is) would be

"10% to F4F Foundation"
    "10% to OurFigs"
    "5% to F4FF, 5% to OurFigs"

It should be user-friendly, especially if I add a short explanation at the top of the listings page to help make sure people understand what's going on with the multiple options.

What do you all think? Any suggestions? I've already spoken with Wills about it, and he gave it the thumbs up and told me to go for it.

Best,
    James

Looks good to me, and thanks for offering cuttings at a super reasonable price. I can't wait for some of your other varieties go up for sale... especially Black Bethlehem. Anyway, being able to buy cuttings and support the forum at the same time is awesome. Thanks again.

Comment

Great idea! It already sounds simple enough.
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Sounds interesting.

How would you be able to ensure the authenticity of the cuttings? What's to prevent someone from sending you their Brown Turkeys or unknown cuttings for named varieties that have market value?

Figs are pretty strong plants but would the additional shipping and storage take a toll on the cuttings? Most of my best rooting cuttings were pretty fresh with lower success rates on cuttings that had been saved and then subsequently shipped a second time to me.
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Great idea.
          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Originally posted by don_sanders View Post
            Sounds interesting.

How would you be able to ensure the authenticity of the cuttings? What's to prevent someone from sending you their Brown Turkeys or unknown cuttings for named varieties that have market value?

Figs are pretty strong plants but would the additional shipping and storage take a toll on the cuttings? Most of my best rooting cuttings were pretty fresh with lower success rates on cuttings that had been saved and then subsequently shipped a second time to me.
            You bring up several good points, Don.

Regarding authenticity, I think it'll be important to only use suppliers who are established in the fig community. We want people we know and who are familiar to members of the fig forums. Even so, there are bound to be some wrongly named plants that get sent out, not out of nefariousness, but because mis-labled plants are not uncommon in our collections. That's just how it is in the world of figs. So it's important to be clear that we're not guaranteeing the accuracy of these varieties, and there won't be any refunds down the road for inaccuracies. There is risk involved with getting cuttings from other collectors, and if a buyer feels the risk is not worth the price, then they shouldn't make the purchase.

The additional shipping/storage issue is a good one, too. I would think that if the cuttings were either refrigerated or immediately re-distributed upon arrival here, and then sent out during cool/cold weather, that they'd arrive at the buyer in good condition. I have never experimented with refrigerating cuttings or holding onto them for extended periods for any reason, so it worries me that you've had diminished success that way. On the other hand, a lot of folks on these forums store their cuttings all winter and successfully root them in the spring, so that makes me think that cuttings should be able to survive a re-distribution system in good shape. Anybody else have any experiences, insights, or opinions to share regarding the possible extra toll from additional shipping?

Comment

The first test is now underway -- I've just added a listing at http://www.figcuttings.com/ for fignutty's Strawberry Verte cuttings

He'll also have small quantities of several other varieties later this winter: St. Rita, RdB, Battaglia Green, Beall, Sultane, Igo, Malta Black, Kadota, LSU Brandy, and Sicilian Black. I'll make listings for those varieties down the road a bit.

Three cheers for fignutty!

Comment

Belle!
                Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

ordered some cuttings....apparently I will have to go back to rehab as my addiction to fig cuttings is not cured. Anybody that has some cuttings .....here I am. LOL

Comment

Update:

I just donated the $3.20 that we raised for ourfigs over the first week+ of this program. It's not a lot, but it's a decent start considering there was only 1 variety involved (fignutty's Strawberry Verte).

Comment

Working...
                    X