X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooklyn Dark ?

I posted pictures of my Brooklyn Dark in a thread on F4F about this variety because mine were darker than the original poster's fig. ( http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....n-dark-7584899 ) Several people there felt that this was not the Brooklyn Dark originally named by Bass, including Bass. I am posting here it to see if it looks familiar.

I received the cutting from this variety from Encanto Farms in the cutting distribution in early months of 2014. It was well identified when I received it, and has had a label ever since. F4F database does not include their source or pics of the leaves or fruit exterior.

The plant is 2y old, growing in a 5g SIP. It was put outside for the fig shuffle starting 2nd week of April. I do not know when the figs started forming, likely early June. They started ripening for me on 9/15, and were, in my opinion, my best fig this year, very sweet, juicy, rich flavored, slightly larger than the Mt Etna varieties, with about 10 ripe so far and another 2 on the plant. Unfortunately I do not have pics of some of the later figs which were a little larger, juicier and riper. These are a deeper purple color than the main crop Brooklyn Dark that Bass shows on his website. At least one other grower who posted about this variety in the past shows a very dark color Brooklyn Dark like mine: http://www.figs4funforum.websitetool...an-red-5704910

Here are photos of fruit and leaves.

Fig #1
    Click image for larger version

Name:	brooklyn dark 2 (1).JPG
Views:	220
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	42601

Name:	brooklyn dark 2 (2).JPG
Views:	178
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	42600

Another fig:

Name:	BD 1.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	42604

Name:	BD 2.JPG
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	42605

Name:	BD 3.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	42606

Leaves:

Name:	brooklyn dark leaf 1.JPG
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	42602

Name:	brooklyn dark leaf 2.JPG
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	42603

Any input about what this might be is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for viewing.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Congrats Ed. They both look great but #1 is just perfect. Best of luck iding it.

Comment

The fig reminds me of an RDB in color and the round shape.
      Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
      Tony
      Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

• eboone
        eboone commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what Bass said on F4F but several of the figs have been larger than expected for RdB, and the leaf does not look right for RdB, I believe.

Ed, do you have Palermo Red (aka, Aldo's, aka Sal's Corleone) and if so have you been able to compare it to the fruit and leaves? It seems to me to be in the vicinity at least.
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• eboone
        eboone commented
        Editing a comment
        Tony-I don't have those to compare. I saw comments at F4F made a few yrs back that reported Brooklyn Dark was in that class of figs.

Ed I have a few figs on mine that haven't turned color yet. Mine came drom Rafael so will post pics when ready.

Comment

Regardless of ID, that is one nice looking fig.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Hi Ed, judging by the shape and the color that what it looked like to me. Maybe it was darker than usual. mine were always late, I had it in ground in a bad spot, and always had green with reddish stripes and eventually turning more red than anything.
          The leaf is more like brooklyn dark than ronde de bordeaux.

Comment

Thanks for answering here too, Bass. Whatever it is it was great.

I am a newbie fig grower without a lot of years of experience. I understand that a lot of factors could play a role in affecting the appearance of a fig. Six weeks of almost daily rain till mid July then six hot sunny weeks with almost no rain. Cramped roots in a SIP. The brand of pine bark mulch in my potting mix. Whatever.

Now I want to get cuttings from the source and compare.

I have just 2 more ripening on the little tree - I will try to hold off devouring them immediately and post additional photos when they are ripe.
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

This is my Brooklyn dark, I have got it from bass, it is big and almost red. Crossing fingers, it will be my first fig.
              Attached Files

Comment

ZAWAPE Looks Yummy. I do not know if I could wait until it was completely ripe.
                Zone 7a - Dover, DE Wishlist: ALL OF THE FIGS!
                Seriously : LdA, CLBC, CC, all CdD, All LSU, Black Ischia

Comment

Originally posted by stealthmayhem View Post
                  ZAWAPE Looks Yummy. I do not know if I could wait until it was completely ripe.
                  I have the same dilemma. I gave myself to Wed until I touch it again. I have covered with a small plastic bag so it is protected from potential rain.

Comment

Pictures of a Brooklyn Dark from trees of joy nursery. It is no figgy, sweet, and leaves a lot of nectar flavor in your mouth after you are done with it. It is a great fig as far as I can tell.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yum! These look like great figs!
                      Current grow list: LSU Purple, VDB, Panache, Yolo Bypass, UCR GR, Ben’s GR, Cuervo Oscuro, LdA, UCR 228-20, Chicago Hardy, I-258, Grape Ape, LSU Champagne, Rocky’s
                      Grow zone: 7a/b

Comment

• ZAWAPE
                        ZAWAPE commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was really good. It is my first of the tree. I bet it will get better.

W.
                    Working...
                    X