X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDD Gris vs CDD Brun

How similar / different are those 2 varieties?
    I can hardly find any information about the Brun.

Thank you!
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

I have never heard it referred to as Brun. It is "Noir."" It is just the dark version of the Blanc. They are the same otherwise.
    Rafael
    Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Brugmansia has the Brun for sale, but no photos provided. I could ask Dany the owner I guess.
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Dany doesn't know what it is...

Rafaelissimo,
        Gris is also a dark version of the Blanc.
        I am curious, do you know that the Brun and Noir are the same or you just assuming so?

Comment

About 2 months ago, a member told me it is Gris. Last year I was given
          cuttings of Brun from a collecter in Toronto. I have Gris. Hopefully they
          are not the same as I do no not need duplicates.

Comment

• Gina
            Gina commented
            Editing a comment
            If it's a duplicate,,,, do you have my address?

I believe that Herman2 has compared them all. I believe the results were that they tasted similar, but CdD Blanc performed much better in his in-ground tests. They were more cold hardy.
          Jim
          Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Thank you, guys!

Jim, I am looking for an ID of the Brun. Do you remember what it was similar to?

Comment

Greenfig -- no, I don't know. I don't grow any of them, yet. I only just picked up some cuttings of CdDB...
              Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Brun=Gris=Roja/Rossa. Seems France is Grice and Pons has as Rojas/Rossa. Bruno seems maybe a Canadian take on name. Only seen there. Skin has a brown/red look.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Ah, that's what I thought too. Somebody renamed it according to a color. It is a good guess until somebody who grows both confirms it

Comment

Greenfig

I am basing my comment on the fact that nowhere in French sources have I seen a reference to "Brun" so yes, I am assuming that since Brun and Noir both mean dark that they are the same. As for NYPD's comment, I am not denying what he states but last year Pons sold me a cutting of CdD Gris, he may have another name for it, on his website he does not offer it, so I am not sure, I just assumed he had it and that is what I received, I killed it anyway so I cannot compare it to anything.
                    Rafael
                    Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Rafael,
                      Sorry for your loss, this happens to everybody.
                      As the Brun's seller says, he got it originally from Europe but does not know why it came with that name.

Comment

I hadn't heard before that Coll de Dama Roja is the same. Pons' book doesn't list synonyms for that variety. But for Gris/Brun, see http://figblog.binhoster.com/col-de-dame/

Col de Dame Brun ou Gris – épiderme gris brun, avec un peu de vert bleuté.
                        My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Thanks, Harvey. That helps!

Comment

COL DE DAME
                            Origin: probably Spain - Col de Signora
                            Area of culture: Roussillon, Catalonia Spanish and Ariège
                            Type: Uniform
                            Maturity: late (late September in the Southeast France)
                            Epidermis: thick, dark purple, pruinose (black), pale yellowish-white (white), gray-brown (Grise=gray, - Brun=brown-marrón)
                            There are 3 distinct varieties: Col de Dame Blanc (white), Col de Dame Noir (black ), and Col de Dame Grise (gray)
                            Shape: rather large, pyriform, elongated and thick neck with strong narrowing
                            Peduncle: very short
                            Pulp: dark red
                            Flavor: excellent, white being less sweet
                            Last edited by Higuera; 06-14-2019, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X