X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter storage and light

So I was wondering about how dark winter storage should be. I know that with some plants the lack of light seems to be more important or just as important to keep them dormant.

I plan to store my trees in my garage which is somewhat insulated this winter and it has a south facing window right around where the trees would be. Should I cover that up to keep them asleep or would it not matter either way?
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

I store my trees in my heated garage that I try to keep as cool as I can that has an east facing window. I keep the blinds closed but there is still light from my garage greenhouse and large tropicals I also over winter in there. One they go dormant, they stay that way until around late March or early April, then starts the pot shuffle.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

My objective is to keep it as dark as possible for as long as I want to leave
      them in the storage, which is also my garage. Before moving them into the
      garage I allow them to lose their leaves and go to sleep and I want them to
      stay that way until early spring. My garage is unheated and I dont want it
      to get to cold (say in the 20's or teens) so I do have a heater that I only
      had to use one winter when we were in the single digits.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Donny

Think how I store mine in ground. Under many layers of cover. 0 light. 0 water besides rain before freeze. And melt off from snow.

In pot trees if there's light for 5 gal pot I'll use brown leaf bag as cover and give 12 oz water every month. That's all.
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Complete darkness is not needed for winter storage of dormant fig trees, but cold temperatures are required, I've stored dormant trees in an unheated room with south facing windows and closed blinds. Direct sunlight may be a problem due to solar heat gain since the best storage temperatures are at or just above freezing, lower temperatures delay bud break in the spring and warmer temperatures, above ~ 45*F will cause early bud break.

Keep in mind that branches are damaged when temperatures fall below ~ 15*F. If the temperatures are expected to fall below ~ 20*F a source of supplemental heat should be planned and installed and for better Breba production the temperature should be maintained at or just above freezing. Also keeping the potting mix barely damp will insure that the tree survives through winter without drying out, some fig growers often add snow to the tops of the containers for the cold, moisture and delayed watering during melting. Good Luck.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Ok, so if I'm understanding everyone correctly, it might not absolutely necessary to cover it but it wouldn't be a bad idea. So I'll go ahead and see if I can get it covered for the winter.

I'm not exactly sure how cold my garage gets during some of the -15F days but I plan to keep a thermometer out there and use a little heater (I think ceramic) if I need to.

I'll try to let my 5 gallon sip buckets drain out and remove the plastic from the tops of them to allow a little air flow.

Check them once a month to make sure they aren't completely dry and add ~12 oz of water every month if needed. Maybe 2-4 oz? for the smaller 1-2 gallon pots?

I'll probably root prune some of the bigger trees in 5 gallon buckets around November when they are completely dormant.

May up pot some of the 1-2 gallon pots into 5 gallon buckets at that time too.

Thanks!
            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Donny

You idea is best
              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I've read that the roots can't get below 26F, correct?

I'm putting my trees in an enclosed sun room. It's basically a room of windows attached to my house. It warms up during the day similar to a greenhouse, so I was thinking I could wrap the pots with insulation to keep in some of the heat in from the day, so that things aren't so bad at night. During the night it's possible to reach 10F outside and the room is about 7 degrees warmer than it is outside with no sun.

Do you think this will work? Should I cover the branches as well? I was only intending to insulate the pots.
                Zone 7A - Philadelphia
                Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

• AscPete
                  AscPete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  IMO, the daily freeze-thaw cycles can be bad for the limbs and may also cause the trees to break dormancy early. Placing the dormant trees inside an unheated, uninsulated, solar heated storage space may result severe damage to the dormant trees since they need continuous cold temperatures to maintain dormancy. Good Luck.

AsePete when do you start bringing in your Trees? We live in similar areas.
                Last edited by sal; 10-13-2015, 06:16 PM.
                Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

• AscPete
                  AscPete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If they have stopped producing figs I let them stay out for first frost then remove all the leaves a few days later and place into storage. If there a few figs that still have time to ripen I will shuffle them to avoid frost to let the figs ripen first. We're close, but I'm a little colder due to higher elevation (Ulster Co.). Good Luck.

The early sprouting problems that I had the last two years seem to be triggered by the temperature getting too warm. Even when one tree was in a dark, unheated room and covered with a blanket, it still sprouted in February when the temps got too warm.
                Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

Working...
                X