X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me make a risk less risky....

I am going Mexico last week of tis month. A friend of mine runs a huge resort in Playa Del Carmen called The Royal Resort.
    Over the years we have talked a lot Figs and I tried sending him a tree but never made it to him.

I have small single stalk tree about 12in tall I'm thinking I'll try bringing him tis month.

I known is best not to chance it at all but I've made it past that point and gotta try.

I know I can't leave in pot and walk thru guards at airport or pack it in my suitcase in a pot.

My thought.

No leaf. Rinse root in water clean and roll root and all in damp newspaper then place into large bag of color pencil to blend in trunk with pencils. I'm just curious if the roots will be a giveaway and they go threw my luggage and remove it along with other things that no belong to them.

I've considered bringing cuttings but I no sure if he will be able to store cutting. Root them per my instruction,cup them and pot them. I guess I can try but would be much easy to just bring him tree.

Thoughts?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I couldn't go see you in the hospital but if you get put in jail I'll probably have time to see you before you get out. Just a thought
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

It'd be an excuse to get you to Mexico ! I assume by you respond is no good idea to carry bare root?

Comment

Sure. Go ahead, we need to find out.
        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

i've heard than mailing bare rooted trees is "easier" to get through customs but i haven't tried it.

Maybe try mailing cuttings and/or bare rooted tree well before you leave and if he gets them you can show him what to do with it while you're there.

that's my two cents
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Most people smuggle things out of Mexico not into it. I'm with Hershell, I wouldn't want to be in a Mexican prison for smuggling... or any reason for that matter.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Make a rustic pet cage with it being one of the parts!

Comment

Hahaha I doubt anything will happen....its Mexico....and even if you do get caught...play dumb......nothing a $50 handshake can't fix!
                Quy
                SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

• COGardener
                  COGardener commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh Dang!

• Q*
                  Q* commented
                  Editing a comment
                  On the real....don't do it mike...I was just kidding! Best bet is to mail cuttings and start them when you get there. It's the tropics....do direct planting and it'll grow....no cups/baggies ...parafilm tape the top and stick directly in the pot

First of all, when you fly into Mexico you will get a declaration card on the plane to fill out while you are in the air. Basic questions, like do you have excessive cash, raw meat, fruits, vegetables, animals...
                When you go through customs, the first stop you hand the official your card you filled out and he asks you a few questions, welcomes you to Mexico and you move on. The next stop is the actual check, it's like gambling. You get to push a button, it's red light/green light(literally). If you get green, you grab your bags and move on, if you get red..baggage check. I don't know the ratio of red to green, I'm just guessing it's a smaller percentage that gets checked versus those that pass. When we went last summer, a big group of people met in Puerto Vallarta. Only one couple from the group got the red light.
                Like Dirty Harry said...

Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Amigo, Mexico requires a phytosanitary certificate attesting to the health of plants and unprocessed plant products. This certificate is available through the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). The phytosanitary certificate is issued by the plant protection and Quarantine (PPQ) office to the exporter. It certifies that the plants or plant products have been inspected and/or tested according to appropriate procedures, are considered to be free from quarantine pests, and conform to the current phytosanitary requirements of the importing country. For more information, see the link: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/porta...s/importexport
                  This will help you to take plants without landing in jail
                  Zone 8B, Texas

Comment

I heard someone just sent plants in a box and marked "guns" in the outside. Made it every time, haha.
                    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

well as they said you have 50 50 chance of having bag searched. Nothing more entertaining to border guards than rooting through your sexy undies and making cracks in Spanish. I would just mail it in a box with cinamin sticks.

Comment

I was able to get a phytosanitary certificate from my county ag agent for $35
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Taverna78
                          Taverna78 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ah! Tis certificate you receive from you county ag? Who did you start with? Like village hall? Police ? Post office?

Maybe add a rubber tip on a large cutting for a walking stick...I doubt that they could throw you in jail for using an ugly stick to help with your medical recovery. Hope you are getting better!
                        Barry
                        NE GA ,Zone 7b Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017,6F in 2018,17F in 2019

Comment

County agriculture agent.

Comment

I am 6'4". Tis would be very long thick cutting ahahaha!

Is okay I shipped cutting. I look into permit but take longer than my vacation date so I apply and I will just ship tree in a month.

Comment

I'm disappointed, I wanted to get to visit you.

Comment

• Taverna78
                                Taverna78 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Patients Cugino....

Maybe I try bring back too many cutting from Italia next fall and then you can visit me in Calabrase prison ahahah!

Patients. I have patients if it gets done immediately. And your reference to too many, is that possible?

Comment

Nothing in Italia "get done immediately " BUT when you break laws bad people make sure you pay your fine or imprisonment . So you visit me if I want to be rebel ahahahahahahaha

Comment

• eboone
                                  eboone commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Italy will not care about 'exporting' or sending the cuttings, it is the 'importing' country that gets its shorts all bunched up. So you could get your cuttings confiscated here in US, maybe a fine? Maybe your existing plants threatened with confiscation if they think they were contaminated by your imports. But doubt prison here.

Trust In me Ed. Italia There is government and "the OTHER guys" stronger than government. If something leave Italia that someone can make money the "N'D" has their tentacles on it before I think to even try to leave home with it. They here in USA but USA government much stronger than ND....

So far

I will never cross ND or USA government for plant or anything beside what will kill me....

😉

Comment

Working...
                                X