X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late season rust

Does anyone worry about late season rust? I've probably got about 2 weeks left but some of my little trees are starting to develop quite a bit of rust. I'm guessing from the morning dew. It's almost like it's rained every night with lows in the 40's and days in the 70's.

I went ahead and sprayed some copper thinking that it might help this year and also prevent a outbreak next year at bud break.

But would it really make a difference? Could I just let the rust go and dispose of the leaves when they drop without any adverse affect?
    Last edited by newnandawg; 12-30-2015, 07:23 AM.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

I'd just ignore it.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

If you spray for next year,where or what do you spray? I know a copper fungicide but do you just spray the tree?

Comment

• don_sanders
        don_sanders commented
        Editing a comment
        I just sprayed all of the leaves, the branches, and any buds. It's on small one to two foot trees so it didn't take much to all over them.

I was thinking it wouldn't matter too much either way but I didn't want any rust spores to over winter on the trees.

Sounds like everyone is in agreement that it wouldn't have mattered.

I would not be concerned about it this late in the season. I would start
      the copper as soon as I noticed it next year if its early enough to need it.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

It's getting cooler and the trees are starting to get ready for their winter sleep. Maybe they are just starting to show their fall colors. I don't know, just guessing.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Only if the trees still have figs that may ripen before frost. They are sprayed with fungicide to prevent total leaf necrosis.
          The severely inoculated and fallen leaves are always collected and destroyed to reduce the incidents of Rust next season. Good Luck.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I always assume it is from the morning moisture on leaves
            Chris NE Philadelphia

Comment

most of my baby trees have rust on them and the leaves are sheading. I pick the leaves up and throw them in the trash. Or if they look wonky on the tree, I pull them off and throw them away. Interesting Note: trees outside have rust. The ones under cover on the lanai around the pool don't. Any thoughts on this.

Comment

• Kelby
                Kelby commented
                Editing a comment
                Moisture on the leaves (rain, dew, etc) exacerbates any fungal infections. Dry leaves are harder to infect and spread on.
            Working...
            X