X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy

Hello everyone!

My name is Jose and I am new to fig growing. I found this forum through multiple google searches trying to find a grassroots type of site to discuss and learn. I found lots of sites that seemed commercial which I didn't want to bother with.

I was introduced to this by my father in law recently. He gave me 3 unidentified cuttings earlier this year which are potted and doing well. I would like to acquire more varieties in the future and grow more figs. I live north of Baltimore in Glen Arm, Maryland. I am hoping to learn enough to identify the figs I have, cut from a tree in Middle River Md, and start figs on my own from cuttings. I have been reading the FAQ section the past couple of days. Lots of great info there. This is a really great resource. I'll have to send my FIL a link since he is an avid grower.

JMS

Jose in Glen Arm, Maryland.... Zone 7a

welcome, and good growing
    Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Just be careful, it's addictive.
      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Jose welcome to the forum!
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Welcome, Jose. Are you planning to grow your figs in ground or in pots?
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

welcome, soon enough you'll have more varieties that you can count.

I stopped counting at 20.
              Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Eboone, right now I'm growing in large pots but I do plan on transferring some to the ground. Probably next year some time. I want take some cuttings first in case i screw up and kill one. I'm in planting zone 7a.

Comment

Welcome Jose.
                  Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Welcome. Figging is fun.
                    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Welcome and when you get some ripe fruit you can post pics here and maybe we can help with an ID.
                      Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

One of the three I have potted has fruit. However, they are stalled I guess and haven't ripened. I brought them in side last week to a 3 season room. Hopefully they can ripen before going dormant. I got my fingers crossed.

Comment

Welcome! Sometimes we never get a true ID but if the figs are good then that's what matters the most. There are many great varieties and you gotta have them all!
                          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Welcome, and good luck! First you start with a couple. Then you start picking up some less common varieties. Next thing you know, you're trying to acquire 10-20 figs you've never even tasted. You've come at a good time, too, as cutting season is upon us.
                            Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Welcome Jose..
                              Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Welcome from Rockville!
                                Steve
                                D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                                WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

So it hasn't been a year yet and I am up to 9 now. Here is a pic of my set up. Have two not shown, one in ground and the other I hadn't bought at the time of the picture. The wifey is not putting up much resistance yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed. She grows hydrangeas so we have had some arguments over who gets the sunny spots lol.
                                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Welcome. 9 is a good start!
                                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Welcome, Jose. I'm glad you decided to join "Our Figs."

Comment

Working...
                                      X