X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro...finally

So I figured it was time to introduce myself. My name is Art. I am a recycle truck driver with about 1500 households per day. I have been growing cactus and succulents since 1969. A few that I have, I have pictures of from the 1970's. My father-in-law got me interested in figs by growing a large (300+ pounds including pot) Italian Honey fig tree in a pot at his house. In 2011, my older son bought me a Chicago Hardy fig tree for father's day. It grew like a weed the first year and even produced figs, but they didn't ripen. In 2012, my father-in-law pasted, and I inherited his tree. That's when the addiction started. My wife and I spent the late summer/early fall that year eating about 6 figs a day from that tree. We started wondering what else was out there for figs,so I started searching for info, and came across some forums, and fig people on facebook. At this point I have 29 varieties in some form of growth. Plants in the ground, plants in pots, and cuttings starting to root. I try to stick with varieties that are more cold tolerant, but then someone will say a new type is the best ever, and I have to bring out more pots. The only good thing about my job, is I haven't had to pay for any pots or shipping boxes.
    Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Hi Art, welcome to the forum.
    Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Do you have the 428 in your mach 1?
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• cjmach1973
        cjmach1973 commented
        Editing a comment
        351 cleavlamd, 4 bolt mains, toploader 4 speed, 4 bbl holley on an edelbrock manifold, then the kids came

• COGardener
        COGardener commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice. I have a friend whom has a rare 1973 Mach 1, it has a factory installed 429 Boss H.

I understand the kids.

Welcome Art. Sounds like you have some nice trees.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Welcome, Art. Thanks for joining the raffle.

Where in MA are you? I'm in Framingham about 20 miles west of Boston.

My start in figs was also an inherited fig (from my sister in laws father). It's a hardy chicago.

Are all yours in pots? I have 1 inground with plans for maybe a few more.
        Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• cjmach1973
          cjmach1973 commented
          Editing a comment
          I work in Worcester, but live in Rutland. Have 4 Chicago's in ground This year I'm going to wrap 1, cover 1 with a barrel full of shavings, and bury the other 2. Everything else is in pots.

Welcome to the forum, Art! Glad you are here.
        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Welcome Art. You are off to a great start!
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Welcome to the forum Art.
            Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

Welcome to the forum Art .

Comment

Welcome Art. There is no cure for the addiction.
                Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Welcome.
                  Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Welcome. You will have fun here.
                    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Welcome
                      Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Welcome! Good luck with your trees!
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Working...
                        X