X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Tena from USDA/UCD worth it?

As I am getting ready to put the figs to bed for the winter(is it that time of year already? ), I have two large 2nd yr Tena figs that both produced this year but the fruit was underwhelming. I've heard some figs get better with age, does Tena fall in that category?

Maybe it would do better in a hotter climate?

Maybe 1 more year ...

Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Kevin, I don't have personal experience with Tena, yet it seems ALL figs improve with age. The magic age seems to be 3 to 5 years of age for most cultivars.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that is what I keep hearing/reading that many figs take time.

It has been a vigorous grower and productive.

The 1 conadria I had this year was much better than the numerous tenas I had though.

Hopefully it will be better next year.

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm still at the stage where I would rather any fig than no fig.

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, same here. I think maybe at the end of next season I'll be able to make a better decision about the Tena and Desert King.

I have an heirloom Hardy Chicago that is the same size as the Tena and it was as productive and the figs were much better.

I'm looking forward to MBVS, RDB, Conadria, Paradiso/Genoa, Vasilika Sika, Adriatic JH next year.

Maybe one of them will 'replace' Tena.

Mine has been a great fig. Just not productive and riddled with fmv but taste great.
    Cian

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Where are you located?

Don't have it but have noticed it mentioned several times by people that aren't going to grow it anymore. Don't ask me to tell you where I saw that though. I also don't remember seeing anyone say "Tena is the bomb!" Now of course with that being said, any mediocre fig is better than no fig.
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Calvin. I think I've heard this same things.

We'll see how it does next year taste wise.

So this past summer was my first year getting fruit from USDA/UCD Tena, honestly I really wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. In my climate it is a vigorous grower, it fruited prolifically and they were large and sweet but unfortunately not as complex tasting as other figs. To me Tena strikes me more as a workhorse fig rather than a delicacy you savor. If I end up with a bumper crop of Tena I might use it for baking, drying, or making a jam rather than eating it straight up.
    Queens NYC - Zone 7b
    (DatesNFigs at the other place.)

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, thanks for the comments. I'm thinking the same thing. It might stay in the collection due to the abundance of fruit it produces.

A couple years ago I visited someone growing about 20 varieties of figs, most from UCDavis. The trees were about 10 years old. One of them was Tena. The fruit from that mature tree, growing in a relatively warm part of California, was tasteless to me. I could take cuttings from any tree there, but after tasting the Tena, I had no interest in growing it.

I'd rather grow many duplicates of good figs.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the comments.

Maybe in a few years when my other figs are larger and more abundant i will think about removing it from the collection.

Maybe I'll try dry farming one of them next year to see if that boosts the taste.

I tried Tena at the Wolfskill fig tasting - and it was unremarkable.
    Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, thanks for comments. I'll give it 1 more year.

• greenfig
      greenfig commented
      Editing a comment
      Go for it, Tena is the bomb!
      Large and sweet figs
Working...
X