X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favourite Honey Figs and why?

I have never tried a honey fig and would love to one day, which varieties should I consider and why?
    Victoria
    Australia (Zone 9b)

Hi James,

I haven’t either, but I am looking forward to doing so. If you haven’t already, take a look at fellow member Ross Raddi’s Youtube video on LSU Champagne. That fig looks so delicious. It was actually the determining factor in me ordering a plant for myself.
    Delray Beach, FL 10B

Comment

With you being in Australia, you may have trouble finding some of the varieties that Americans discuss. For me, honey varieties are less desirable than the berry flavors, but if really ripe can be pretty good, so I am growing a few.

I like Raasti Northern Persian Unknown for it's earliness. I like Hollier and LSU Champagne. I have grown LSU Gold and Lattarula both of which provided good figs when they did not split, but both split too much here so are gone. I grow Salem White, which also produces good figs, larger than Hollier and Champagne and Raasti, but this plant is in ground and produces a little late in the season to get a full harvest in my location (hopefully with age and better winter protection I will get more of the figs ripe before frost).
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• COONHUNTER56
        COONHUNTER56 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love Hollier as well. I dont consider it a true honey fig however. For me It has a pretty significant berry flavor right after you THINK you're eating a honey fig. It was my favorite fig last year.

For my tastes: Janice Seedless Kadota. Huge producer of large honey-dripin' figs. There are several I could list as runner-ups, I guess Osborne Prolific is high among them.
      Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.org

Comment

• bbats
        bbats commented
        Editing a comment
        Is Janice seedless kadota different than regular kadota?

True Improved Celeste is my choice for flavor and productivity. Don't know if it is available in Australia.
      Johnson1
      Zone 9b
      S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

• Rewton
        Rewton commented
        Editing a comment
        Wouldn't that one be more of a sugar fig?

Depends on what you'd consider a honey fig. There's also quite a bit of variation there. For instance, Bebera Branca, Osborne Prolific, LSU Champagne, Zaffiro & Sweet Joy I'd all consider quite different. Those are also my favorites. I suspect Albo or Yellow Long Neck can beat out Champagne for that flavor slot.
      Last edited by ross; 01-14-2019, 07:09 PM.
      Zone 7A - Philadelphia
      Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

To me a honey fig is just that... sweet as honey. If you are seeking super sweet taste, there are two varieties I've tasted and are not mentioned by most that deserve top consideration. Izbat an Naj(Egypt) and Qalaat Al Madiq(Syria).
        Romeo
        Zone 6B. Lehigh Valley, PA

Comment

• ross
          ross commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought that too. Then I tried Bebera Branca, Zaffiro, Sweet Joy & Osborne Prolific.

Zaffiro by far. Rich honey flavor and not sugar sweet.

Comment

Any votes for Siblawi? I havent tasted it yet and I dont know if it is a honey fig or sugar fig.

Comment

I wish I liked the simple honey and sugar figs but I just can’t pay the current price for Zaffiro when I prefer beeey types. It looks good though and I love the description Brian just gave. That actually makes me think... my biggest complaint about some honey types is how sweet they are. I need to understand what “Rich honey flavor and not sugar sweet means”Brian M can you explain that a little better for me? Sounds interesting
            Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• Brian M
              Brian M commented
              Editing a comment
              There is depth to the flavor. It would be the opposite of LSU Purple which is like eating a spoonful of sugar.

• Evdurtschi
              Evdurtschi commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what I was hoping to hear. Thank you.

As was said, not sure what's available to you, but here are the responses I received when I asked a similar question a while back -- https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...ck-a-honey-fig

I kept going back and re-reading the thread every time I thought I was ready to give a honey fig a spot, but still hadn't made up my mind to do so when I went after this year's cuttings.

Then I received one bonus Brooklyn White cutting with a recent cutting purchase, so I am trying to root it. It was on the short list, though some don't consider it a true honey fig. If Brooklyn White doesn't root, I'm still torn on which honey (if any) I'll add this season.

Good of luck with your search!
            “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
            – Chinese Proverb
            MA 5b/6a

Comment

I only have a couple of honey figs. Last year Bananna was my favorite. I've read it's in the kadota family. I wasnt expecting it to actually taste like bananna. But under hot and dry conditions it certainly did. I've learned to allow the brown sugar spots to develop on all the light colored figs for maximum flavor.

Comment

Have 400+ varieties and in my opinion far and away the winner is Siblawi. I call it the ant fig as every ant will ignore all of my other varieties to go for that tree. It is the ONLY tree I have to use tanglefoot on to keep the ants away and even them if one dang weed makes contact with a limb of that tree they find it. On a scale of 1/10 Siblawi is a 10 and have never found a fig that is even CLOSE to as sweet. Not only that it produces early, it is one of the first trees to ripen and ripens fruit all season long constantly. It is one of those that every single node produces a fig and with its fast robust growth that equates to VERY heavy yields. It does not seem bothered in the least by nematodes. It is my favorite tree I have. At the end of the season mid November ish the figs are less sweet and to me taste like honeydew melon.
                Plant sales are closed until further notice.

Comment

• ramv
                  ramv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m going to give this one an early start

• crademan
                  crademan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for posting this description, WillsC. In addition to producing heavy crops of delicious fruits, do Siblawi figs have a closed eye?

• JamesB
                  JamesB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where did Siblawi originate from? Sounds delicious!

I like Mary Lane Seedless.

Comment

Curious to see if people’s favourite honey varieties have changed since last year. Also has anyone tried siblawi? What are your thoughts?
                  Victoria
                  Australia (Zone 9b)

Comment

I gave up on Brookline White after multiple failed rooting attempts. I now have a second year San Miro Piro with several baby Brebas, and a newly rooted Iranian Candy (FKA Raasti Northern Persian Unknown) that keeps insisting on setting figs at ever leaf. Hopefully it won't be long before I know if I even like them. If I don't, I'm betting my husband will enjoy them.
                    “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
                    – Chinese Proverb
                    MA 5b/6a

Comment

It makes me sad that no one said Peters Honey since that is the one I have.
                      wish list: Colonel Littman's Black Cross

Comment

• Sod
                        Sod commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There is nothing wrong with peter’s honey. I almost picked one up this year at the store but decided to go for Stella instead.

• Halligan-
                        Halligan- commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have Peters Honey.
                        It should fruit this summer

I’ve still got a couple I’d like to get. Iranian candy, jack lily, sodus Sicilian, off the top of my head.

I have golden rainbow, YLN, Lsu gold, and Oregon prolific. I’ve rooted sweet joy, and I’m working on Hollier and Scott’s yellow. I think that’s it for now of that type for me. There may be a couple more as the classification shuffles for how they taste...if I get anything from them this year. Not looking very likely quite yet.
                      Oregon, Z 8b. WL: zaffiro, campaniere, thermalito, DSJG, Sangue dolce, Jack Lily, verdolino, Green mich, rubado, sodus Sicilian, Burgan, white triana, petravaca bijela, valle negra, ischia black, fiorone di ruvo, st. Martin, qudsaya, cherry cordial, cul d’asse

Comment

• ginamcd
                        ginamcd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh yeah, I also have a Golden Rainbow that was gifted to me last July. Little to no growth until it went back outside about two weeks ago, but not holding out much hope for figs this year.

Has anyone tried pingo de mel (honey drop fig)?
                      Victoria
                      Australia (Zone 9b)

Comment

Oh Dolce Calderai beats them all by a mile. However, you need the wasp to get all that deliciousness.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                          Oh Dolce Calderai beats them all by a mile. However, you need the wasp to get all that deliciousness.
                          That looks absolutely magnificent! Is this not a common fig variety?
                          Victoria
                          Australia (Zone 9b)

Comment

looks like i'll have Siblawi figs for the first time this year. Wills sent me the tree. Also will try Sarizeybek, Golden Riverside, Calimyrna and Golden Rainbow for the first time this year. Hoping desperately Rainbow is not the same as YLN. that would be a let down for me personally. So far, i would agree with Sweet joy as a definite keeper.
                            Los Angeles, CA

Comment

My understanding is that the cookie, Fig Newton, is made from Kadota. I suspect dried Kadota figs are rehydrated and are the major ingredient, along other fruits (read the ingredient label), used in the cookie's filling.

I suspect that because of your long, dry, hot ripening season that figs usually ripen there to perfection. I say this because how a perfectly (as close to perfect), ripe fig tastes here in the N. East USA where I garden, with a short ripening season, humid, wet, and cool, will be very different in taste for the same variety you grow there in Victoria. My flavor evaluations may be partially irrelevant to you, for this reason.

Besides Kadota, which I like very much, I grow Yellow Long Neck and White Ischia, which are sweet, mild flavored figs as Kadota is. The White Ischia fruit is extremely sweet for me, the sweetest fig of ALL the varieties I grow, dark and light, and I believe I can safely predict it will be more so for you.

Thorntorn
                              W. PA., Pittsburgh, zone 6b USDA, but more 5b, realistically. All pot grown fig trees, no in-grounds.

Comment

• Sod
                                Sod commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I forgot about kadota. I have a 2nd year TC kadota I can’t decide if I want to keep or not.

• JamesB
                                JamesB commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I really like your response in that you acknowledge climate as an important factor contributing to flavour. I guess I am lucky to to be living where I am 😁
                            Working...
                            X