X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavaliere

This one I've had high hopes for and it did not disappoint. Considering the cold temps we've been having it is ripened well. I can only imagine how great it will do in ideal condition.
    The skin is thin but the pulp is thick, rich and sweet with the taste that lingers.

Put this on your wish list folks.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by Rafed; 10-13-2015, 02:02 PM.

Looks good Rafed. Glad it tasted good also.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Looks like a beauty. Congrats Rafed.
      Art
      Western Pa -6a

Comment

congratulations Rafed. It looks like a great fit, enjoy.

vito

Comment

That does look good
          Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

For some reason I always thought it was a dark fig.

Except for it being greenish, it looks good.
            SoCal, zone 10.
            www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Must.......have.........Cavaliere thanks for sharing your pics Rafed.
              Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

Thst one looks awesome!
                Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Gina,
                  I think it should be a bit darker but this here may have to do with it being could. The temps do affect the color as well.

We should know for sure soon as there are several others that have it and are waiting for theirs to ripen.

Comment

I start the bidding at a conservative $40. Yea, I want one. Thanks rafed
                    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

I have this variety too. And I agree, it's a pretty good fig. I initially was interested because it's one of those that grows in Calabria. I've been growing this one for about 3 years.

The color of the ripe figs here was quite similar to what's in Rafed's photos. Green but with some darker tinting on the skin. A good fig!

Mike central NY state, zone 5a
                      Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

Hello from France.
                        3 pics of Cavaliere.
                        On picture 3 the upper one is cavaliere the other is sucrette.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

It seems like this fig has a very small following here. I have two started now and they are rapidly growing. Any others have this fig started now? It's been 2 plus years since this thread was started.

Comment

I love this variety! I had heard many good things about it and finally ripened a few last fall. It did not disappoint and reminds me somewhat of Smith. Highly, highly recommend!
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Mangoman
                              Mangoman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for the input Bill ! When did yours ripen? Would you rate it as high as Smith?

• Mangoman
                              Mangoman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for the great pics also! I like that really closed eye.

• Bigbill
                              Bigbill commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My figs ripened late- early October, but I equate that to the fact that my tree was only a year old. I don’t believe that a mature cavaliere tree would take that long to ripen figs. I could be wrong. However, for me, and I love the smith variety, it is on par with that unique, almost acidic and complex flavor of smith. I honestly cannot wait until next season when I enjoy a more mature crop of excellent figs. Good for you for acquiring such a great tasting variety!

The ripening time is what interested me next to the incredible flavor I heard it had. If it stayed early Oct, that would be great for me. I agree with you on it ripening slightly earlier with a strong root system and more mature tree it could change the ripening times slightly to your advantage. I am building my collection to give me mainly late season after Sept. 1st figs.I am in Southwest Fl. so I am loaded with great mango til Aug plus I want to be out of the rainy season as much as possible.I need to start a thread on peoples top 5 that ripen after Sept. 1st or about.. lol

Comment

Top 3 fig for me .been growing it for a few years , kept it under the radar for most part

​​​​​​Mine were ripening early September, it's a 4 year tree now so we will see .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170923_175518-1365x1024.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	273872

Name:	IMG_20170905_113451_001-1365x1024.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	273873

Name:	IMG_20170921_145638-1024x1365.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	273874
                              May the Figs be with you!
                              ​​​​​

Comment

• Mangoman
                                Mangoman commented
                                Editing a comment
                                You have some great pics of it, thanks for sharing. That fig is a beauty!! Mine rooted easily and is a super strong grower from what I can tell . As long as it ripens as late as what is being reported, a slightly open eye will not matter as much.

• BrooklynMatty
                                BrooklynMatty commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks mango.

• cvarcher
                                cvarcher commented
                                Editing a comment
                                oh my !! Im glad I have this one too. I have 5 nice sized figs on it that should make it before the fall.

Also to note, not a closed eye. It splits
                              May the Figs be with you!
                              ​​​​​

Comment

Can’t wait for this one. Strong grower as well

Comment

Damn it! I'll add this to the wishlist. Anyone willing to trade me a cutting/airlayer if this for my (moderately used) soul??
                                  Ferdinando or Ferd. Noth Jersey zone 6b.
                                  WISH LIST Currently growing

Comment

Looks like I'll have to add this one to my wish list for next year too. Trying to keep this list to less than 6 new varieties (hopefully, well maybe....).
                                    Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
                                    Wish List: Rubado, Thermolito, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

• Mangoman
                                      Mangoman commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      That thin skin blows me away! My new cutting that rooted is already a foot tall and the other one is starting to gain ground.

It’s actually very rare. It’s a well known Italian variety.

Comment

Is there a breba crop with Cavaliere? Mine is about 18 inches and forming figs now! This guy grows thick and strong, outpacing all my other cuttings which have rooted, roughly 14 varieties!

Comment

• Mangoman
                                      Mangoman commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Obviously I would never try and get a fruit out of this little guy but it is definitely showing a lot of promise!

The old FigsforFun database has it listed as "similar to Brogiotto Nero". Has that been anyone's experience?
                                    50.27 °N, halfway between the Rockies and the Pacific
                                    Zone 6a but winter lows vary from -23C/-10F to -15C/+5F
                                    Hot short dry summers often up to 32C/90F or more. Semi arid.

Comment

• Mangoman
                                      Mangoman commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I read that exact thing earlier today researching it. There is obviously very little out there! I read it had a breba also from another source but would like more confirmation on it.

I'm going to have to follow this, in the hopes that Cavaliere produces well for you, Mango. Please keep us updated, as a fellow Floridian I'm looking for the figs that produce well in humid conditions.
                                    OT, what kind of mangoes do you grow?
                                    Titusville, FL- zone 9b

Comment

• Mangoman
                                      Mangoman commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Hello Jkanyok! I will surely keep you posted, I have two so will have plenty to inform you on with this one, along with what looks like 24-28 others now. I have 7 mango trees. Peach Cobbler, Lemon Zest, Dot, Phoenix, the real Orange Sherbet (G-32), M-4, and Keitt. Now my good friend who owns a nursery, made sure to save me a Butter Cream, he told me it is tops. I need another mango like a hole in my head but if it is that great, I have to find out myself!

I love it when some of these older posts creep back up and I learn about figs I've never heard of... Where did this Knight come from?
                                    Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• Brian M
                                      Brian M commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      It’s an old well documented Italian fig
                                  Working...
                                  X