X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what did you promise yourself you would do this year.......

And did not do that was fig related. I promised myself I would catalog the figs with pictures, both leaves and fruit. I almost hate to admit it but out of 300 ish varieties in ground I think I did 3 Just not enough hours in the day.........
    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

All of my cuttings from last year needed to be up potted. I didn't get a single one done.
    Bob C.
    Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

I was going to summer prune my Hardy Chicago early to get more early figs. Didn't get to it until July so I have a lot of small green figs and few ripe ones.

Comment

Was planning on a greenhouse but my heart had a different agenda.

Comment

I wanted to have at least 4 varieties in the ground, Still have only one, 4 H. Chicago, but I will still try different ways to protect them.
          Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

I was hoping to plant some trees in ground and do some up potting. I'll hope next spring isn't as crazy

Comment

Start planting figs in the ground to test pruning/winterization techniques. Trees available ~50, trees planted 0.

Collect pollen from edible caprifigs and make crosses. Son ate caprifig profici green :P
              Andy - Zone 6a Lat 39.9º N, Altitude 5390' Westminster CO ⚘ Scion List

Comment

My goal was to collect and plant 50 figs in the ground.....I didn't do too bad. So far 28 are in the ground and I have around 35 varieties total.
                Adam Vista, CA 9b

Comment

• jmaler
                  jmaler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Outstanding on getting 28 in ground. I have only 17 in ground. I'd better step it up.

I was going to stop at 1 tree. Then after just one more. Then I said three was a lucky number. Then four to even things out...
                Sarah
                Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• smatthew
                  smatthew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you ever need to downsize I'm close by and have plenty of room ;-}

• Visceral
                  Visceral commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The problem with one tree is you have nothing to compare it to. Oh, and then you have to go outside of the flavor group to compare those. But don't forget to get an early, middle, and late season variety. And then....

• Sarahkt
                  Sarahkt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol thanks Matthew, that's very kind.

Yeah, now it's "stop after I get one of each variety that reaches above a certain threshold of interest level." That's at least ten more on my list. Who's up for a trade this winter?!

I said I was going to expand my garden space so I could have more space for figs. Hopefully I'll have the time to do that before the ground freezes this year so I don't have to do it in the spring.

The plan is for to have two 3 x 25 foot garden beds where i 'plant' my potted figs 3-6 inches in the ground.
                Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

All that's left is to get rid of 2 more potted fig trees and mulch my beds. Got all the figs I can handle planted at the new house so I got things going my way now. I got a Scott's Black and Imp Celeste I'm gonna let go. There too big to ship so gonna either sell them on Craig's list or give them to family so I can still have access to them.

Comment

My fig project for the year was to get rid of the fig ghetto area in the backyard, and I did. Gophers did help unfortunately, with some eating right through the bottoms of the plastic pots.

I was able to up-pot most of my figs into 15 gallon containers and move them into one main area. There is a second area in the side yard with about a dozen figs in 15 gallon pots, and this winter, after more culling, those will be moved into the main area into the front yard. Most of these will go into the ground. Because of the drought, I was able to fashion 'saucers' of sorts for under all my figs.
                    SoCal, zone 10.
                    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• GregMartin
                      GregMartin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wonder how many of us end up with a "temporary" fig ghetto while we're getting our plans together. My fig ghetto is a convenient holding area where I stage the figs during the spring shuffle, but usually don't completely clear during the year. Hopefully won't end up on next years list of things I meant to do too.

Not add anymore til I eliminated a few varietiea. Ahahaha!
                    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                    SE PA
                    Zone 6

Comment

I'd planned to save an extra $5k this year. The fig bug bit and the $5k went to figs. Guess I'll have to wait till next year on the $5k.
                      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

I promised myself that I would get rid of a bunch of trees this year. I did get rid of a bunch, but not nearly enough. Going to be a pain putting them away again tomorrow. There's always next year.
                        Art
                        Western Pa -6a

Comment

• Sarahkt
                          Sarahkt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm curious to know which varieties you found disposable.
                      Working...
                      X