X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ischia TC = not a Green Ischia

My tissue culture "Ischia" ripened the lone fig that didn't drop or get knocked off. I was hoping for Green Ischia, but apparently it's not to be. Over on F4F, the guess is a White Marseilles. I'd agree with that since this fig tasted pretty similar to my Italian Honey.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Where did you get your tc ischia come from? I bought one of the infamous blue? Ischia from Hirt's. You would think keeping track of tc plants would not be that difficult.

Comment

• jkuo
      jkuo commented
      Editing a comment
      I got mine through Florida Hills nursery. I also got a TC VdB there, and it appears to be true. I'm a little annoyed that the Ischia is mislabeled.

My first "Green Ischia" fig was also white/amber with a sweet but bland flavor. My plant came from Ison's. Sure was surprised when it wasn't strawberry red inside!

Comment

That's is exactly how my blue ischia figs look as well! And I went and planted 2 in my yard, they grow faster then the rest but no where near as productive yet, I'm guessing white Marseilles was sold as a few different varieties!
      Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Could it be partially due to the age of the tree, soil or atmospheric conditions or a combination there of?
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Scott, I think it's too much of a co-incidence that this many people on the forums have found "Ischia" not to be true to the description. It's likely that Agristarts and resellers mislabeled a batch of plants.
          Johnny
          Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• COGardener
            COGardener commented
            Editing a comment
            Indeed. Perhaps someone should inform Agristarts.

If you want the real Green Ischia you should try Petals From the Past. Mine matches the description and is a very nice fig.
          Brian
          Augusta, GA

Comment

Working...
          X