X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ischia TC = not a Green Ischia

My tissue culture "Ischia" ripened the lone fig that didn't drop or get knocked off. I was hoping for Green Ischia, but apparently it's not to be. Over on F4F, the guess is a White Marseilles. I'd agree with that since this fig tasted pretty similar to my Italian Honey.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Where did you get your tc ischia come from? I bought one of the infamous blue? Ischia from Hirt's. You would think keeping track of tc plants would not be that difficult.

Comment

• jkuo
      jkuo commented
      Editing a comment
      I got mine through Florida Hills nursery. I also got a TC VdB there, and it appears to be true. I'm a little annoyed that the Ischia is mislabeled.

My first "Green Ischia" fig was also white/amber with a sweet but bland flavor. My plant came from Ison's. Sure was surprised when it wasn't strawberry red inside!

Comment

• lewi
      lewi commented
      Editing a comment
      Many vendors buy from Agristarts, or use cuttings from their product. When buying from Isons best to stick to the muscadines, my order was delayed because I ordered a pecan tree...now they did send extra Carlos ( muscadine) in the package, but that did not help me in an (over) year long drought.

That's is exactly how my blue ischia figs look as well! And I went and planted 2 in my yard, they grow faster then the rest but no where near as productive yet, I'm guessing white Marseilles was sold as a few different varieties!
    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Could it be partially due to the age of the tree, soil or atmospheric conditions or a combination there of?
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Scott, I think it's too much of a co-incidence that this many people on the forums have found "Ischia" not to be true to the description. It's likely that Agristarts and resellers mislabeled a batch of plants.
        Johnny
        Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• COGardener
          COGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed. Perhaps someone should inform Agristarts.

If you want the real Green Ischia you should try Petals From the Past. Mine matches the description and is a very nice fig.
        Brian
        Coastal NC, humid 8A

Comment

Here's my contribution, any idea what my "Ischia" from Florida HIlls Nursery (https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...es#post1198482) might be?

I would guess some type of Mt. Etna
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Ischia_20220620.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	1198495
          Attached Files
          -Dorian Miami, FL, Zone 10b
          Wanted: Martinenca Rimada

Comment

• TNJed
            TNJed commented
            Editing a comment
            Hopefully taste my this season from Wellsprings I think. Leaves look like possible Green Ischia but 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
            Last edited by TNJed; 06-20-2022, 04:10 PM.

• Figgerlickinggood
            Figgerlickinggood commented
            Editing a comment
            TNJed hopefully my TC YLN from Wellsprings wil finally produce figs this year. It’s growing really nice this year and making a lot of suckers. It’s now 3 years old.

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            Most likely Chicago Hardy.

I have frequently seen advertised "Ischia" fig from a nursery turn out to be a White Marseilles. More often that not.

I am not sure that I have every seen a Ischia fig, from a commercial nursery, that was actually what we in the forum would call a Green Ischia (which is kind of a generic term for an Adriatic).

Cliff H
          North East, OK - zone 7a/6b
          Wish List: WM #1, MBVS, LSU Hollier, Sodus Sicilian, Sweet Diane, Yellow Long Neck

Comment

I think it is White Ischia, several threads here mention it. Mine is sink or swim this year as it hasn’t fruited in 5 years.
            Millersville Maryland
            zone 7b

Comment

That white Ischia TC has nothing to do with Green Ischia. The real White Marseilles is a medium size fig, like 45g size. My friend bought her "Ischia" fig and she thought the same that this is the Green Ischia. But it is not Green Ischia. I do not think it is White Marseilles either. What is it? I do not know. Not Tena either.

Here is my Green Ischia

Name:	DSC_3462.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	1198720

Name:	DSC_3465.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1198721

Here is my Princeton Honey (White Marseilles)

Name:	IMG_2801.jpg
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1198722

Name:	IMG_2015.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1198723

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1198724​​​​​​​
              Princeton, New Jersey, 6B
              flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/red-sun/albums
              My FigBid: https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=RedSun

Comment

Looks like an Italian honey/ latarulla.
                Teresa Staunton Va Zone 6B

Comment

I too was told Agristarts "Ischia" is "White Ischia", really who knows..looks exactly like the figs I got from mine.

Mine had a slight berry/ melon flavor, good, not great. The upside is it was vigorous and grew into a big tree in FL in no time, and has a very tight eye.
                  Maritime Climate, not very hot, not too cold, Mpumalanga, South Africa, Floridian Expat

Lewi ( Pron LeiWi) = Levite

Comment

I do not know where the confusion is. If you look up the F4F database, Ischia is right there. The Ischia TC matches the F4F Ischia or White Ischia correctly. And I do not think Agristarts is wrong this time around.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by slowpoke View Post
                    Here's my contribution, any idea what my "Ischia" from Florida HIlls Nursery (https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...es#post1198482) might be?

I would guess some type of Mt. Etna

Name:	Ischia_20220620.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	1198495
                    It is close to impossible to ID Mt. Etna figs. There are about 30 "named" Mt. Etna figs. A lot more heritage Mt. Etna figs too. They all look alike.

My 2nd year Italian III (AD) have figlets now. That is all I care.

I do not like to buy fig plants from stores. Those wholesale growers are not reliable.

Comment

• don_sanders
                      don_sanders commented
                      Editing a comment
                      While there are lots of Mt Etnas, most of them aren’t tissue cultured and mass marketed so the selection pool of varieties is greatly reduced in this case…

• Red_Sun
                      Red_Sun commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No one knows if this Mt. Etna is a TC fig or not. And we do not know where they get the plants and who the supplier or grower is. Or it can be some mistake of mis-labeled etc...

• slowpoke
                      slowpoke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "No one knows if this Mt. Etna is a TC fig or not."

Here's from the website where I bought it from: "Plants for sale are Ficus Carica “Ischia” fig Tree plant Plants for sale is currently growing at between 4-12″ Each plant is lab grown from tissue cultures to be a Disease free plant. Cuttings will carry any diseases the donor plant may have and with.." I guess they could be lying about that, but it sure looked like a TC when I got it:
                  Working...
                  X