X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Get a Kadota Main Crop this Year?

Hello everyone,

Did anyone get a Kadota main crop near me?--I'm in the Philadelphia area.

I know Kadota figs requires a lot of heat to ripen, which I thought we've definitely had, but I've still got quite a few unripen clusters on my tree. It's the first year I'm growing it, so I'm not sure if we just don't get enough heat here or what. I did get a late start to the season... Considering its fate for next year. Anyone have anything to say about this variety that might sway me?

-Ross
    Zone 7A - Philadelphia
    Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Hello Ross,

Yes, I was able to ripen a few this season on a small 2nd leaf tree, two figs were fully ripe with tender skin and pulp. They do seem to need more heat that we usually get, but their advantage is the thicker skins and it may be possible to start them earlier and or ripen them under cover.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6375.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	44207 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6207.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	44208

I plan on growing the Kadota cultivar, but prefer Champagne figs for the same Honey Flavor and its ability to ripen figs in cooler weather and a shorter season.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to be on the lookout for Champagne to eventually replace my Kadota. If you had to guess, how many ripe main figs do you think you got?

Here's a pic of my tree 3 weeks ago. It's got about 7-8 unripe figs on each branch. Pretty amazing clusters of them--just none ripe yet.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      Zone 7A - Philadelphia

Comment

I had 6 ripe figs with about 18 that were pinched / removed on a total of 3 branches. Only 2 were fully ripe with thin tender skin and jammy pulp, the pictured Kadota fig was still about 2 days away from being fully ripe but the eye was open, though blocked but was attracting insects.

Kadota is a cultivar known for producing multiple figs at the same leaf node. Nice looking tree, I sometimes pinch (thin out) the younger figs on the branch to hasten ripening of the older figs.

Comment

I tried removing 85% of the leaves. Any idea if that works?

Edit: I appreciate the help, Pete. Always very knowledgable.
          Zone 7A - Philadelphia

Comment

Why would you remove leaves? That's where the tree gets energy from. .. right. So wouldn't it not make sense that removing leaves would cause a drop in the trees energy and cause it spend available energy to grow more leaves.

Anyone?
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Janice Kadota. Half dozen so far. Late fig. More to come if they skate through the freezes this weekend.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
              Tony WV 6b
              https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

The leaves are necessary for the development of the fruit, they produce the starches and sugars that constitute the actual figs. IMO, removing the leaves changes the fig to leaf ratios negatively, while removing the figs affects the ratio positively, its basic plant metabolism.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	plant+metabolism.png
Views:	160
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	44258

Comment

Hard frost wilted most leaves last night and will hammer again tonight. But revealed a ripe Mt Etna in ground, and a ripe Brunswick in pot, and this ripe Kadota in pot, very sweet:
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                  Tony WV 6b
                  https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Originally posted by AscPete View Post
                    Only 2 were fully ripe with thin tender skin and jammy pulp, the pictured Kadota fig was still about 2 days away from being fully ripe but the eye was open, though blocked but was attracting insects.
                    Hello ! Do you mean the Kadotа variety in this part of the text? Everywhere it says that the figs of this variety are thick skin.
                    Last edited by cybercop; 01-03-2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• AscPete
                      AscPete commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, Kadota figs have “thick” leathery skins (inner and outer layers) when picked early, before fully ripened.

The skins “ripen” to a thin outer layer with soft juicy sweet inner layer. A 1 inch (24 mm) piece of cloth surgical tape used as an Eye Patch can often be used to “seal” the osteole and allow the figs to ripen fully. The patch is applied when the figs start swelling during the final stage of ripening, stage 3.

@AscPete : Thank You ! That impressed me this fall. I have already shared that the harvest of my Kadota was a complete failure this year. I dried the tree too much and the fruits were small in size and with thick skin. I increased the amount of water too late. However, a fruit formed during heavy watering matured and despite its mediocre taste (there was no longer enough heat), it was with thin skin.
                    Last edited by cybercop; 12-30-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X