X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Prevention With Copper Fungicide

This year my fig trees developed serious rust issues starting in mid August. It affected both my in ground and container plants. I would pick the leaves as soon as they showed any sign of rust but it continued to spread. Many of the trees lost all their leaves. I had heard that the rust will not be eliminated by the cold winter weather. This winter when the trees are dormant I plan on spraying them with a copper fungicide before I bring them into the garage for storage. I plan on also spraying the in ground trees before wrapping and the ground around the in ground trees and where the fig nursery was.

There are two brands of copper fungicide (each containing a different copper based active ingredient) available in my area, one made by Southern Ag (Home Depot sells) and the other by Bonide (sold at Ace Hardware). Has anyone used either of these or would recommend one over the other. Any other suggestions to eliminate rust would also be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by COGardener; 01-16-2016, 03:43 PM.
    Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
    Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Bill, I had a bad case of rust last year
    on my potted and in ground trees. I used Bonide Copper weekly. This year for what ever reason I have very little rust on a couple of trees out of 125.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I've used Bonide Liquid Copper successfully since I started growing figs. It will control outbreaks and prevent leaf drop and necrosis if used at the first signs of Rust, the inoculated leaves will usually remain viable until fall.

As mentioned in this topic, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...on-and-control , collecting and destroying all the leaves in fall will help to reduce the incident of rust the following season. The fallen leaves should never be composted, but removed or destroyed. Good Luck.
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I second what Pete said. I too have used the Bonide copper product, and it worked well for me. Also I'd reinforce Pete's point about removing all of the fallen leaves... you have to get every one of them. Even one leaf left around will be a source to infect next year's leaves. So make sure to get them all if you can. (It can be difficult to get them all if you have a lot of trees affected, but it's worth the effort to avoid the near certainty that the rust will return next year if you don't remove the old leaves).

Mike
        Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

thanks for tips i too had rust late this year will be proactive for next year.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I will try the Bonide. I will keep you informed how it works out next summer. Thanks again.
            Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
            Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Comment

For other orchard fruits, copper is often used as a dormant spray in spring to prevent fungal infections during the season. I may try that.
              Ed
              SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Do you have to spray all of the undersides of the leaves to be effective?
                PPP
                Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

I believe copper is mostly used as a dormant spray (preventative). Once your figs have leafed out I believe it has the potential to cause phytotoxicity in your leaves. I had some pretty bad rust this year as well. Thinking of using Neem as a preventative spray in both fall and early spring. Anyone had success with Neem over copper sprays?
                  facebook.com/ThreefoldFarm
                  threefoldfarm.org
                  instagram.com/threefoldfarm

Comment

• don_sanders
                    don_sanders commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I recall reading something about neem possibly causing mold issues during dormancy when used in the fall.

• timclymer
                    timclymer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I haven't seen that don_sanders but I'll keep an eye out for it.

lowes has the bonide for $9.49

Comment

• lifigs
                    lifigs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can you say where your Lowes was located? I checked one of the Lowes near me and they didn't carry it. I ended up buying it at Ace Hardware for $18.
                Working...
                X