X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing figs indoors

Does anyone grow cutting indoors over the winter? If so what type of lighting do u use?
    Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

I'm attempting to this year for the first time. So far I have a 4ft florescent shop light (3 T8 bulbs) 2 of which put out 6500k and one at 4500k. I'm a lil worried about the stinking gnats I'm seeing though.. I freakin hate them.. Lol
    You'll definitely want advice from the pro's though since this is my first go at growing a few of my late cuttings threw the winter.. I may just try to keep them going for another month & then let them go dormant though.. These dang gnats are KILLING ME.. Just had to say it one more time lol.. Help?
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• eboone
      eboone commented
      Editing a comment
      My first year I saw a lot of gnats. Last year (my second) I used a product called Gnatrol mixed with the water I initially moistened my potting soil with, and watered the cuttings about once a month with that as well. I never saw gnats until I moved them outside.

• BrooklynMatty
      BrooklynMatty commented
      Editing a comment
      What ratio did you use for Gnatrol? I am buying some shortly as i am also considering growing in next 2 months indoors, and its in my office so i dont want gnats.

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I need to get my hands on.. Love the sound of it already.. Is gnatrol sold at garden supply/big box stores? Or do I need do go online? One last question.. Is it too late to use now, or is it effective even after the little stinkers are already there?

If you're worried about gnats, you could try keeping all the cupped cuttings in a clear plastic storage bin with a lid. That would keep the humidity up and the gnats out. You can get bins like this cheaply at places like Target or Home Depot.
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually already have the cuttings in sterilite bins, but unfortunately after two that rooted were potted up they moved right in.. And are now making there way into the bins when I pop them open to air out even just for a few mins. I made the mistake of putting the potted ones outside for just one day & thats all it took.. Ugh..

I'm still pretty new to growing figs, so please don't take what I say as if it's the best solution... I'm sure there a better ways out there.

I've been using 100 watt CFL (compact florescent lights) in clip on work light fixtures with pretty good success. I would use a timer and leave the lights on for 16 hours, off for 8. Depending on how many plants you have, you might need to use a bunch of bulbs.

As far as gnats go I've used diatomaceous earth on top of the soil and that seemed to stop them. I also hung some sticky fly paper.

With all that being said... growing indoors is kind of a pain. I was going to keep my plants awake this winter, but I've decided to let them go dormant.

Comment

I grew several indoors last winter in my garage green house. It is equipped with a combination of high intensity LED's and metal halides. This combination of lights is significantly brighter than florescent lights and produces a less "leggy" growth. It is not as bright as the sun so the figs still require an adjustment period before being left in full sun.

As far as the gnats are concerned, there are numerous posts on controlling and killing them use the search feature and you will find tons of details.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Most people grow cuttings over the winter and use a variety of methods. The search feature should help find the many ways folks do start cuttings and also how to control gnats.

I do all my propagating in my basement which cools off in the winter to about 55-60 so the figs I had there last year didn't quite go dormant but they also didn't put on a lot of growth so I didn't have the "leggy" growth issue Scott talks about above.

I just use 2 - 4 foot fluorescent shop lights and it seems to work ok.

I've controlled gnats in a few ways. I have the pull down fly strips near my setup which I swap out periodically. I've also used sand or gnat nix as a top cover for the cuttings. These help break the gnat life cycle.

The best thing has been keeping the medium on the dry side and watering from below by putting them in a container partially filled with water.

If you're cuttings aren't growing a ton then there water needs will be decreased.

Hope this helps. Like Scott said, if you use the search feature you'll find more information.
        Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I built a 200 watt led grow light.

Doug

Comment

After several years of dealing with the gnats I found my best defense is:

Carnivorous plants, sticky traps and bottom watering only with
            Gnarol mixture every time.

As for lighting, I use four sets (2 tubes each set) of T-8 lights about
            eighteen inches above the plants.
            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• SCfigFanatic
              SCfigFanatic commented
              Editing a comment
              you might mean Gnatrol?

Yup,I do. Operator trouble.
            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I have T5 lighting system go over plastic clear bin. I also fill bottom of bin (just above pot drain holes) with sand and I use either few inch of perlite or sand in each top of pot. Tis way. No fungal gnats.
              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I use T8 shop lights in the 6500k range by the windows on wire rack shelves. I've never been able to eliminate fungus gnats no matter what I tried. Gnatrol, sand on top, and sticky traps seemed to help control them the best. Mosquito dunks definitely aren't as good as gnatrol. Sticky traps can be made fairly cheaply with fly traps and cardboard. Forbid 4F seems to take care of the spider mites.
                Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

I use $11 T8 shop lights when I do it. I used the shelving units from Home Despot. That worked fine until there were enough leaves to shade each other, then they needed the 1000 Watt HID lamp and more space between the pots. I'd use either 2 5000K bulbs or 1 6500K plus 1 3000K in each fixture, 2 fixtures over each 4' resin shelf. The fluorescent bulbs near 4000K have the worst spectrum of them all, while 'white' LEDs at 4500K are really good. Most plant LED fixtures use a variety of monochrome LEDs which makes observing your plants difficult. You'll need some additional white light available if you go that route. LEDs and T5s are currently very expensive so I don't use them. If money's no object they can both be good choices and T5s are better than T8s. I never had any trouble with gnats for the first several years. Eventually I got an inexpensive ebay greenhouse, set it up in my dining room and put a small heater in it. A heating mat helps with rooting cuttings unless you have a spot you can keep between 72 - 80 easily. Since it's hard to keep plants over 18" healthy I generally refrigerate my cuttings until March if I want to start them indoors and early, or May - June if I want to start them outside and have much less work.
                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I bought a 4 ft t-5 shop light from Home Depot for 30 bucks. Just purchased 3 veg lights (90 bucks)witch are supposed to put out uva uvb for better growth . I have a large laundry room so I'm going to set it up in there. Guess we will see how it goes, as far as gnats I guess I'll put my Venus fly trap in there also.
                    Zone 7a Galloway, NJ

Comment

I use a Venus fly trap and some sundews, they work quite well. I plan to add a pitcher plant or two this year.
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Working...
                      X