X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another fig fanatic!!

Thank you for accepting my membership. I am a collector of rare, tropical and sub-tropical fruit trees. I grow my figs in containers, here, in hot and humid Southwest Florida. I am experimenting with some fig varieties from Portugal, Lebanon, Israel, Louisiana, USA.....So far, I have had some success with "Celeste", "Brown Turkey,"Mel do Algarve", "Atreano", "Moscatel Branco", and "Figo Doce". I am looking forward to learn and to share material and information. I lived in Portugal for a while, and I fell in love with figs!!

Welcome to the forum.
    Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Dkirtexas,
      Thank you!

Welcome! Was it easier to grow figs in Portugal?
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Eboone,
      I did not cultivate figs when I lived in Portugal. The country is a heaven for figs, and one find figs all over. You can buy them in open markets, supermarkets, small grocery stores! Portugal is a fig paradise! The Mediterranean climate is perfect for figs! Thank you for your welcoming to this forum!

Ciao and welcome!
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Ciao Taverna, Grazie Mille!
      Thank you for you welcoming to this forum!

Welcome
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Hershell,
      Thank you!

welcome, here's a link that helps some newcomers have found helpful.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...erenced-topics

Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Kevin,
      I have tried a few times to edit my signature, and I did not succeeed! It shows an error! I am wondering if I need to use a desktop instead of a tablet to complete this task! Any suggestion? Thank you.

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      not sure, questions like go to WillsC and he and/or one of the admins look at it.

• Hobo62288
      Hobo62288 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have also been trying to add a signature and it doesn't work for me either. Wills said for me to just message him what II want in my Signature and he would add it for me.

Welcome to the forum!
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Greenfig,
      Thank you, so much!

Welcome to the forum from Greece
    andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Andreas,
      Kalimera Sas!
      I spent few days in beautiful Greece when my daughter was studying in Athens! We had a great time! Opa!
      Thank you for your welcoming to this forum!

Welcome Berto. You found a great place to hang out.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Scott,
      Thank you! Obrigado!
      This forum is pretty cool! So far, so good!

Hello and welcome, I'd like to hear more about your Portugese figs and fig-related experiences there!
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Jesse,
      Thank you!
      I went to Portugal a couple months ago, and I ate a bunch of different types of figs. Everywhere you go, you see large fig trees. I plan to post a few pictures sometime soon. I am still learning how to navigate the forum!

Welcome to the forum.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado, Black Celeste

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Don,
      Thank you!

Berto, what part of the southwest Florida are you from?
    i have spent some time in the Tampa bay area and loved it.
    anyway, again i need to say
    welcome to the forum
    andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Andreas, I am in Fort Myers, a couple hours south of Tampa, by car.

Welcome...
    Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Erick!

Welcome! We have several very experienced members in FL who Should be able to help you a lot. If it weren't for the humidity and bugs, FL would be one of the best places on Earth to grow figs. Oh, and the bad soil with those nematodes. And the birds. Maybe you should quit while you're ahead and send me all those wonderful Portuguese plants to keep safe for you.

Welcome, anyway!!!
    Bob C.
    Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Bob,
      Thank you!
      For the nematodes, I plan to graft good varieties onto Ficus racemosa/cluster fig rootstock. It works pretty good. I have seen a big fig tree that was grafted onto a Ficus racemosa. Now, that tree was destroyed, but before that I saved the rootstock and the scion wood. I plant to experiment that set up this coming Spring.

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Bob,
      Let's keep in touch! Maybe I can name you to inherit my fig collection fifty years from now! By the way, I have a sense of humor! Life is good!

Berto, welcome! Looking forward to seeing your posts, especially your take on Portuguese figs!
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Sarah,
      Thank you!
      I see that you are in the Bay Area. I went to school in Davis and Sacramento!
      California is pretty cool! Portugal and Spain have very mild Winters, and lots of sun. Therefore, the figs there are nice and sweet.

Welcome to the forum Berto.
    Following your grafting experiments with great interest.

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Rui,
      Most likely I will graft a couple figs in the upcoming Spring. Now, I am air layering two Ficus racemosa trees. Eventually, I will plant some figs in the ground, the ones most resistant to rust, using the racemosa as a rootstock.

glad to have you with us. I also live in the sweaty hot south so we have something in common. You will love it here good good people.

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Lilfiggy,
      I am glad to find out I am not alone. I was told I could not grown figs in Fort Myers. I am growing them.....I have been growing fruit trees for over thirty year, and my small fig collection I started a few years ago. Every time we went to Portugal, my wife kept me asking to grow figs. She grew eating great figs in Portugal. Wife is happy life is great! The entire universe is synchronized! Ahahahah

Hi Berto. Welcome to the forum.

Vito

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Vito,
      Thank you!

Welcome aboard.

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      JohnnyK,
      Thank you! I am here to stay!

Berto, is the F racemosa resistant to the nematode? You could become very wealthy selling grafted figs that are resistant. Especially if you grafted 12 varieties on to one rootstock. Do you have a way of checking sap Brix of F Carica vs F racemosa? I wonder if this rootstock would affect the taste. How hardy is the F racemosa? I couldn't find any info on it.
    Last edited by Harborseal; 10-21-2015, 12:19 PM.
    Bob C.
    Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Harborseal,
      The information I have comes from the person that grafted a Ficus carica onto a Ficus racemosa rootstock, long time ago. I saw this huge grafted fig tree with my own eyes before the tree was destroyed. The graft needs to be done very low because Ficus racemosa tends to sucker below the grafting line. As I mentioned before, I was able to save the rootstock and the scion wood! I plant to duplicate what was done before using the same material.
      I do not have any way of measuring the brix for both species, and my understanding is that there was no change in taste.
      I also don't know the hardness of Ficus racemosa. All. know us that racemosa is a tropical Fig, and is cultivated in southern India.
      I will keep you guys posted!

Welcome to the forum from the Netherlands.
    Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
    Zone 8B

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Rob,
      Thank you! I visited your city one time! Very nice!

Berto

Benvenuto, bienvenido and welcome!
    Rafael
    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Rafael,
      Muito obrigado!
      I am going to have lunch in Queens tomorrow (Saturday). I am going to hang out in Chinatown! I am in beautiful Brooklyn visiting my daughter!

Hello, and happy to have you join us, Berto. I live in Northern Ca., and have several Portuguese varities as well.
    Gary USDA 9A
    Sebastopol, CA

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Gary,
      Let's talk! I have an interest in an exchange program! Great!

Welcome. It's going to be interesting to watch your progress. Be sure to keep us posted with lots of photos.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerry,
      Thank you!
      Yes indeed, I plan to keep you guys posted!

Hi Berto ,
    Wondered if the U. of Florida fact sheet mentioned in the first post on this old thread would be of any help.
    Mentions the racemosa rootstock is sometimes sold under a different name.
    Kerry - NH zone 5

Comment

• Berto
      Berto commented
      Editing a comment
      Kerry,
      I believe that the synonym for Ficus racemosa is Ficus glomerata, and the common name is Indian fig, Cluster fig... The big grafted tree I saw was in Naples, few yards from the beach.
      I have no doubt that a grafted tree will do well in a warm spot.
Working...
X