X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting to sleep after issue?

Ah! We all know is coming! Over last weekend we have few hours of 30F temps 2 night in a row. Then back up to 75F during days. The 30's will be permanent starring tis Thursday. Funny is tis.... My brother cover all trees with plastic garbage bag.. I think too tight no air and started to suffercate and forgot to wrap 8 others behind barn. The ones no wrapped look perfectly fine and normal weathering even being hit with frost. The ones he wrapped I unwrapped because they all look wilted and droopy with lots of condensation in the bags. Today I go to farm to lift all of them out of ground and set in the garage in old house on farm. We were going to dig trench but there are too many obstacles under the ground we chose to dig. Next year we will make trench.

They all should be fine even though they wilted because of plastic?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I think they should be ok. Did he put the plastic on to protect them from the frost or for winter storage?

My sister-in-laws father(Pa Batista) used an old sheet to cover his large in-ground fig for the first few frosts that came in Oct. He once told me he got a few more weeks out of the season that way.

Pa used to wait for all leaves to drop, remove the leaves and any fruit from around the tree and then prepare it for winter storage.

Good luck.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

He did it to protect them from the "wind chill" not sure about other states but if is 40F at night when wind blows it feels like 30F.

I think I will just put them all into the garage today and let the temps slowly drop with the outside until I need to apply the heater. They done make any fruit and some are almost no leaf. Others have some lead and fruit that will not ripen so I assume they will just all fall off being in the dark and cooler?
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Yes, they should all drop their leaves when the temps go down and they become dormant.

Be sure to remove any fallen leaves from the pots so you do not have issues with mold over the winter.

We had a hard frost earlier this week so most of the leaves of my figs have stated to curl and will most likely drop in the next week or two. When that is done I'll move them into winter storage. I'll probably be done by mid-Nov.
        Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

oh sorry for you guys. After an entire summer of miserable weather in the 90s and high humidity....fall with balmy 80s ahh what a relief.

Comment

Working...
          X