X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet George

First fig from a cutting started early Feb. It was really sweet.....lol
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Quy
    SoCal, Zone 9b

What's the texture like?

Comment

• Q*
      Q* commented
      Editing a comment
      soft thin skin...very sweet...plant was very young so the flavor wasn't very complex

Just wait another year or two Q, I had some off of my third year tree this year. .. oh my yes! !!
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Nice Q! The brebas are really good too, just wait.
      Andy - Zone 6a Lat 39.9º N, Altitude 5390' Westminster CO ⚘ Scion List

Comment

Thanks guys! Nice to know you guys really like it. There isn't too much talk about Sweet George so i honestly didn't know much about it. I wasn't expecting much....being that its such a young tree but ...surprisingly soft and sweet. I have 5 more on the tree that should ripen in about 3 weeks...keeping my fingers crossed that they will ripen before it gets cold.
        Quy
        SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

I can't wait to try this variety. I have 3 young Sweet George trees, so hopefully I'll be able to get a taste next year.

Comment

It's worth the wait, took three years for me, hail got my crop last year. This year was fantastic, I'm really looking forward to next year.
            Last edited by COGardener; 10-21-2015, 06:44 AM.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

This was one of my best this year also, extremely juicy and sweet, some dripped 'honey'. It was better than I was expecting for a second year tree. The exterior of mine were a good bit darker than yours, Q.
              Ed
              SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Q's wasn't completely ripe.

Comment

Completely agree Scott. I had just wrapped it with an organza bag and my 7 year old daughter knows....once she sees those bags....its fig time! She begged and begged and begged.... i told her it wasn't ripe yet! "But daddy.....its yellow and soft...with a puppy dog face"...i said ...go ahead!(knowing i had 5 more on the tree).....it made her really happy....
                  Quy
                  SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

• aphahn
                    aphahn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My three year old son's response to being told the figs aren't ripe "...but I love them!" How can you resist?

Just imagine a fully ripe one!

Comment

Just when I thought I was done with my list of figs to get this winter.

Hopefully I can keep it under 10 (I already have 5 on the list, this makes 6).
                    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Just 10????

Comment

• fitzski
                        fitzski commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I know it's wishful thinking but until I start putting some in-ground I need to limit the number needed for winter storage. I've already ear marked a few for "removal" next year if other varieties prove to be that much better.

I'm already starting to wonder a little about how I'm going to fit them all in the GH. I'm not quite sure I'll have room for them all. I'm sure I'll figure something out though.
                        Last edited by fitzski; 10-21-2015, 01:01 PM.

My sweet george is in its second year. 15 fig on a small tree. It seems to be very productive.

Comment

Working...
                      X